Help on choosing my first amp
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BrezicR

Head-Fier
Hello

I'm trying to improve my listening experiance and I would appreciate some help on deciding my next step.
I own a Sennheise HD 558, which I use on my desktop through Asus xonar D2X. My budget is around 300€ (cca $350) and I was thinking on upgrading my audio setup with a new amp. As being new at all this, I would really appreciate some help on deciding the right amp. I also don't know if it is better to buy a DAC/amp combo or maybe a new set of headphones. Further down the road I will probably upgrade my setup even more.

I would also like to ask how much a good amp actually changes your listening experiance. Before I tried on my laptop Fiio e10, but I wasn't impressed. Unfortunatly I don't have much experiance, as I don't know anybody with a similar hobby 
smile.gif
. My friends are actually looking at me kind of funny, because I spend so much on headphones (I also own Sennheiser IE80, Ficher Audio Eterna and Nuforce 700m IEMs).

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 3
I think the USB-version of the Matrix M-stage should do the trick. From what I've heard the built-in DAC isn't really anything special, but as an amp the M-stage is good for it's price (~$300), and you could always get a better standalone DAC further down the line. I own a non-USB M-stage myself, currently driving my HD650s with it with nice results 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back