Help on choosing from a selection of headphones
Aug 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pteixeira

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi!

I need to buy some headphones as my previous pair (Pioneer SE-M290) got a busted wire that I can't fix and now I can only listen from the left side :|
Previously to these I owned a pair of Creative Fatal1ty gaming set (these were sooooo comfortable!) that lasted me like 4 years (before I trampled the wires with my chair...).

These headphones need to be around-the-ear (over-the-ear ones make me really uncomfortable) and somewhat isolate the sounds from the exterior.

I talked to a few of my friends and read some reviews online, but I found some headphones that I can't really decide from..
I had initially focused on the Sony MDR-V6 since they were reasonably priced (getting them from Amazon UK - I'm in Portugal) and a friend of mine let me try them on and listen to some music on them.

Some friends recommended the MDR-7506, but reviews actually say they are the V6 with a visual revamp.. How accurate is this? There is still a difference in the price (V6 - 49.50GBP; 7506 - 69.99GBP).
Some other friends recommended the Sennheiser HD 215 (59.99GBP) and even the Creative Aurvana Live (52.17GBP).

Also saw some people mentioning the Sennheiser HD 439 and HD 449 but I have no clue how they fare against the others. These I can get locally, but I don't think the prices justify it (449 - 99.99€; 439 - 79.99€)

These headphones would be used almost exclusively in my laptop and desktop as I use a pair of awesome earbuds for my iPod. I would listen to music (electronic and rock, mostly), play games and watch movies (the usual use, I guess...).

Bottom line, I have no clue what to get. Whenever I need to buy anything that costs a little bit, I tend to over research and get extremely confused... They would be purchased most likely from AmazonUK, unless I can get whichever cheaper in another trusted location.

Purchasing a small amp/dac is not in my future list of purchases, if that's any help..

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi Head-Fi!

I need to buy some headphones as my previous pair (Pioneer SE-M290) got a busted wire that I can't fix and now I can only listen from the left side :|
Previously to these I owned a pair of Creative Fatal1ty gaming set (these were sooooo comfortable!) that lasted me like 4 years (before I trampled the wires with my chair...).

These headphones need to be around-the-ear (over-the-ear ones make me really uncomfortable) and somewhat isolate the sounds from the exterior.

I talked to a few of my friends and read some reviews online, but I found some headphones that I can't really decide from..
I had initially focused on the Sony MDR-V6 since they were reasonably priced (getting them from Amazon UK - I'm in Portugal) and a friend of mine let me try them on and listen to some music on them.

Some friends recommended the MDR-7506, but reviews actually say they are the V6 with a visual revamp.. How accurate is this? There is still a difference in the price (V6 - 49.50GBP; 7506 - 69.99GBP).
Some other friends recommended the Sennheiser HD 215 (59.99GBP) and even the Creative Aurvana Live (52.17GBP).

Also saw some people mentioning the Sennheiser HD 439 and HD 449 but I have no clue how they fare against the others. These I can get locally, but I don't think the prices justify it (449 - 99.99€; 439 - 79.99€)

These headphones would be used almost exclusively in my laptop and desktop as I use a pair of awesome earbuds for my iPod. I would listen to music (electronic and rock, mostly), play games and watch movies (the usual use, I guess...).

Bottom line, I have no clue what to get. Whenever I need to buy anything that costs a little bit, I tend to over research and get extremely confused... They would be purchased most likely from AmazonUK, unless I can get whichever cheaper in another trusted location.

Purchasing a small amp/dac is not in my future list of purchases, if that's any help..

7506 is basically remade V6. Sounds identical. Anyways, what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for the replies!

I was looking for a warm sound signature (if I read correctly, a bit heavier on bass and voices?) since I kind of got used to these from the other headphones I had and I find it quite comforting (if that makes any sense..).

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 6
The HD439 have a rolled off highs (treble). Other than that, it perfectly suit your needs. At the moment, can't think of any better alternative yet

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back