Help on Audio Technica!
Apr 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bananaheadlin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I've been deciding whether to buy a ATH A700 (or AD700) or the ATHPRO700 headphones from Audio Technica. They are all around the same price on Amazon.com was I don't know which one to buy. Can anyone help me with this? Sometimes I listen to classical music and sometimes artists like Eminem (rapper) or other hard bass singers. Thanks for your help, guys!

Also, are the A700 (or AD700) cups really big? I saw some review that they were very big. And the ATHPRO700 and A70 or (AD700) wins out the M50 and the Denon 1001k right?

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 21
The A700 cups are about .5 cm^2 short of a cd.

They do bring a TON of bass imo and were just ok for classical.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 21
I haven't heard the others, sorry. I did think the A5/700s are a bit underrated for under $100, especially when blue tack modded.

Unmodded, they have rather hard hitting bass, rolled off mids, and honky and somewhat sibilant highs. Modded, the bass is tightened quite a bit, about 1.1 times more impact than my K271s, the mids come from out of the grave, but is still sibilant however.

But, fwir, the PRO700 has muddy, flabby bass, whereas the M50s have tight bass and rolled off mids.

A700 & M50 Comparison

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 21
Mmm...

for classical music definitely the AD700. But since you also like bass and games... it makes it harder to decide.

The A700s definitely have more bass, and that would make gun shots, explosions in games more exciting. However the AD700 have a better soundstage which would mean positioning in games would be more accurate; good for multiplayer and FPS.

What do you think more important to you? Bassy rap songs or the classical songs?

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 21
I think I like bassy rap songs a little better. Have you heard of the M50 or the ATHPRO700? Especially the ATHPRO700, they seem to have a good bass along with good audio quality. I'm not sure.

Also, whats the difference between A700 and the AD700. Which has better sound quality. And what do you mean by soundstage. Sorry, I'm new to the headphones world. Thanks!

Also, is it possible to buy the AD700 and then somehow buy a EQ software on the computer and turn the bass up? Would that work? Or the bass would become bad quality.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, whats the difference between A700 and the AD700. Which has better sound quality. And what do you mean by soundstage. Sorry, I'm new to the headphones world. Thanks!

Also, is it possible to buy the AD700 and then somehow buy a EQ software on the computer and turn the bass up? Would that work? Or the bass would become bad quality.

Soundstage is the sound you hear is separated, what is playing in the left ear, is not always playing in the right. Also, things sound near and farther away from you. Better soundstage better for gaming. I have not tried my AD700' for gaming yet, but have read that several like them, as the footsteps they hear in Shooter games makes them more aware of the location of the enemy.

I would not worry about buying software yet, and turning up the bass. The A700's have bass, and all ranges of bass. They do not have a lot of bass impact, that is you do not feel the bass as you would when listening to speakers. It is my understanding that this is the nature of open cans, though some do bass better than others.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Oh I see. Do you listen to bass hard music? What do you think of the bass in the AD700?

Also, have any of you tried to ATHPRO700 or the M50? Are they good? (Sound quality and bass. Which one of those two do you prefer (in sound quality and in bass)?

@ Ishcabiblewhat
What do you mean by "muddy, flabby bass" for the ATHPRO700? Do you prefer the ATHPRO700, the m50 in sound quality wise?

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Oh I see. Do you listen to bass hard music? What do you think of the bass in the AD700?

Also, have any of you tried to ATHPRO700 or the M50? Are they good? (Sound quality and bass. Which one of those two do you prefer (in sound quality and in bass)?

@ Ishcabiblewhat
What do you mean by "muddy, flabby bass" for the ATHPRO700? Do you prefer the ATHPRO700, the m50, or the AD700 in sound quality wise?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/
This should help you with the lingo.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Do you prefer the ATHPRO700, the m50 in sound quality wise?

I haven't heard either....

Sorry....

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Hi! I've been deciding whether to buy a ATH A700 (or AD700) or the ATHPRO700 headphones from Audio Technica. They are all around the same price on Amazon.com was I don't know which one to buy. Can anyone help me with this? Sometimes I listen to classical music and sometimes artists like Eminem (rapper) or other hard bass singers. Thanks for your help, guys!

I'm not the biggest fan of Sennheiser HD595 or HD555. But for classical they may be better. For Eminem then yeah I'd probably go with AD700/A700, they have a more lively/musical sound.

Quote:

Also, are the A700 (or AD700) cups really big? I saw some review that they were very big. And the ATHPRO700 and A70 or (AD700) wins out the M50 and the Denon 1001k right?

I don't think they are much bigger than any other Full Sized Headphones. It's just that for many AD700 owners, it's their first Full Sized Headphone. Their other reference may be Sennheiser, which don't look huge because they are oval not circular. If you compare them with Beyerdynamic, they are all about the same size.

May also have to do with they are so flat on the outside. Whereas others with a dome shape give them a more 3D appearance for smaller appearance. But since the AD700, AD900, A900 and so on have such a flat appearance, may look bigger.

They need to be, they go AROUND your ears, means your ears have to fit inside them.

These are the AD1000, in between the AD900 and AD2000 for price. They don't look huge at all, they fit well. They are just full sized headphones...

aut219.jpg

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 21
i have had the pro700. its a dj headphone. hard hitting bass, decent mids and highs. not sparkly highs like the a700/ad700. ok comfort but not great. sounds better than any other dj can i've heard (equation rp21, pioneer, senn hd280, ultrasone dj1, a few others), excelled at gaming in soundstage and spatial. not for audiophiles though, i'd call it fun but not accurate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back