Help on ASIO configuration...
Oct 17, 2006 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dacavalcante

100+ Head-Fier
ok... I got ASIO working with winamp.... but don't have a clue on what the settings affect the music quality or computer performance.....
for music quality:
I rather use buffer size with less or more samples ?
Latency compensation, same question.....
Make resemple 44.1<-> 48 active ?
and on winamp asio config.....
small or bigger buffer size ? (I'm getting crasy trying to understand on what these so called buffers, affect my music quality and system performance....)
Make gapless mode active ? (what that do anyway?)
Conver 1channel to 2 channels (same question from gapless....)
It's better to enable resampling?

I'm using AC97 onboard.....

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 10
If you are using onboard AC97 sound, I'm not sure you are getting anything out of using ASIO. Does your card have ASIO drivers, or did you find some ASIO softmod? The whole point of ASIO is to provide a fast, unmodified path to audio hardware. However that means the drivers have to support it. If not, it's fairly worthless.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 10
I learned something new today - the forced resampling to 48 kHz basically makes AC97 incompatible with ASIO. Some AC97 compatible chips do have a special 44.1 kHz mode (I think it was one specific soundmax board?).

You can still use ASIO. However, different sound software may do different things, so it doesn't hurt to experiment. For example, with my nforce 4 motherboard, I use nvidia's ASIO support instead of foobar's kernel streaming because it sounds better to me.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
AC'97 dosn't support ASIO. You might want to try kernel streaming.

But it's working..... I don't really know if sound quality is better (I think it is...)... I get volume control overrided, and changing settings at ASIO config, at least affect the computer peformance and playback (or not), of some mp3s.......
It means that ASIO is working, right ? or not ?

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
If you are using onboard AC97 sound, I'm not sure you are getting anything out of using ASIO. Does your card have ASIO drivers, or did you find some ASIO softmod? The whole point of ASIO is to provide a fast, unmodified path to audio hardware. However that means the drivers have to support it. If not, it's fairly worthless.

Dont' really know if it has suport for ASIO, and no... I didn't get any softmod...

Oct 18, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Ok well a couple things I'd like to know:

1) What did you do to get ASIO to work?
2) What program are you using?
3) Can you show me a screenshot of the sound out configuration from it?
4) What's the specific make and model of your soundcard, failing that the make and model of your motherboard?

I'm not saying it's impossible to get ASIO to a motherboard soundcard, just that I find it unlikely. For real ASIO support, you have to have a card with ASIO drivers. That's pretty rare outside of pro cards. You see some high end consumer cards like the X-Fi support it, but that's about it. Thing is consumer apps don't use it. They use MME or DS.

So what I'm concerned you have going is some sort of ASIO emulation. For example Cubase supports only ASIO (ASIO is Steinberg's baby) so they have ASIO to DS and MME bridges for their software. I'm concerned that you might be using something like that.

The thing is, if that's how it's working, it will at best take up some extra CPU and at worst harm the sound.

Oct 18, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Look up ASIOsigGen on the web, it's a small ASIO only tone generator for checking ASIO driver functionality.

My little sony has the AC97 and ASIO4ALL works fine with it. You set it up offline and it all just works. ASIOsigGen tests out fine with it. I have a kernel streaming plugin too though it's probably superfluous. It's also taing next to no CPU cycles while playing in Media Monkey.

Intel advanced audio (realtek) AC97

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Ok but you see ASIO4ALL is just the kind of bridge I'm talking about. This program does not, and indeed cannot, insert an ASIO path in to the drivers of a card. That would take a binary modification of the drivers. What it does is bridge ASIO to WDM. So the player speaks ASIO and sends that data to the virtual output created by ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL then takes the data and reformats it and sends it to the actual soundcard via some other interface, WDM KS from the sound of it.

Ok all well and good except you gain nothing from this process. It will, at the very best, do no harm to your sound. However it doesn't give you a more direct or less processed path than simply using WDM KS directly.

The only use of something like this is if you have software that only speaks ASIO and a card that doesn't. For example you might use it with Sony Vegas. Vegas does only MME and ASIO. If your card only does WDM KS you might want a lower latency, more direct path and this bridge could provide one. However if you have software that does WDM KS, that's more direct.

Oct 18, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
Ok but you see ASIO4ALL is just the kind of bridge I'm talking about. This program does not, and indeed cannot, insert an ASIO path in to the drivers of a card. That would take a binary modification of the drivers. What it does is bridge ASIO to WDM. So the player speaks ASIO and sends that data to the virtual output created by ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL then takes the data and reformats it and sends it to the actual soundcard via some other interface, WDM KS from the sound of it.

Ok all well and good except you gain nothing from this process. It will, at the very best, do no harm to your sound. However it doesn't give you a more direct or less processed path than simply using WDM KS directly.

The only use of something like this is if you have software that only speaks ASIO and a card that doesn't. For example you might use it with Sony Vegas. Vegas does only MME and ASIO. If your card only does WDM KS you might want a lower latency, more direct path and this bridge could provide one. However if you have software that does WDM KS, that's more direct.

I gave up on Asio, and started using KS..... but to be honest ? I couldn't hear any difference between this 2 and winamp direct sound output.......
Even with chescky and reference recordings it is allmost the same.....

Also I haven't got any emulator, just downloaded around the web winamp's 5 output plugin for both (ASIO and KS).

I don't know if the fact that I'm not using external amplifiers is causing this "zero" change.....

Syscraft should be right, it isn't working at all....

And also these plugins doesn't worth for this onboard sound card (realtek AC97, ABIT AX8 mother board).

I'm using Senns HD-555 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back