HELP: no sound coming from my computer!
Jun 4, 2004 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a relatively new IBM laptop (R40 series) that was purchased around new years that now seems to be soundless. No matter how high I turn the volume up there is no sound out of the speakers. When I play songs through foobar or musicmatch, i can see that the song is playing, but once again, no sound can be heard.
eek.gif

I tried using the headphone jack, and there isn't any sound through there either.

The last time I remember there being sound was when I was watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I was listening with my grado Rs-1's hooked up to the headphone jack via a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

I already tried to use the computer's help, but that wasn't much use.

Is there anything I can do to get sound? Are there some "hidden" settings that I have to fiddle with that may have for some odd reason gotten goofed up?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Dan

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Have you checked the silly things like the wave volume being muted in the sound control panel?
Also you might what to check in the device manager to make sure there isn't a little exclamation mark next to any sound devices.

Jun 4, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 7
w00t!!

PROBLEM FIXED

...but I can't say it was easy.

IBM has a really good customer service website and I just decided that it wouldn't hurt to snoop around for a bit. I came across this thing that said something like driver downloads...then it hit me! I must need a new driver! So I clicked on the link and downloaded this new driver and followed all this installation crap. After about 20 minutes of doing so I got the feeling that the stupid thing hadn't worked!
frown.gif
I was pissed...and hungry. So, I X'ed out of aol in shame and to my disbelief, I heard aol say, "GOODBYE." At first I didn't realize, but then it hit me!! IT WORKED! WOOO HOOOO!!

Sorry, for posting this thread. I didn't think I would be able to fix it this fast.

Regards,
Dan

Jun 4, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nKeY bUsiNeSs
Have you checked the silly things like the wave volume being muted in the sound control panel?
Also you might what to check in the device manager to make sure there isn't a little exclamation mark next to any sound devices.

I didn't even notice that you posted. ARG!!

That driver mumbo jumbo you're talking about there could have helped me to fix it earlier.

Nevertheless, fixing my problem within an hour or two of discovering it, is truly amazing from my point of view because I AM NO COMPUTER WIZ. To tell you the truth, I hate the things. Sure, they are convenient and helpful with work and whatnot, but when they get screwed up, they are b!tches to deal with.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Dan

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I can't believe you admitted to using AOL.
evil_smiley.gif

Glad to hear things worked out.

-Ed

LOL! It is sad, I know.

But, I am getting wireless cable via comcast to my laptop soon! No more slowness of my phoneline.
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back