Help newbie with choice 701/650/AT/Grado?????
Jun 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GAT474

New Head-Fier
I've been into hifi for some 30 years now but have only just decided to get into a nice headphone set up.
My current hifi set up consists of an Opera Audio Droplet cd player which has a dual 6H30P tube output, a Primare I30 integrated amp, a pair of Australian Legend loudspeakers and a pair of Rythmik subs controlled by a Velodyne SMS. As you can see I have invested a bit of money into the system and carefully matched it all. The sound I currently have I would say is accurate and detailed without being forward, pretty smooth overall really. I can pretty much play any cd without having my head ripped off with the harsh recordings like Nirvana Never Mind.
I decided to grab a Consonance Cyber 20 headphone amp which was for sale on this forum as am impulse buy. I've had a few Consonance products so I was pretty confident that it would suit my tastes,
I haven't heard many different headphones and not sure that I'll get the chance to really have a good listen. I've read that the 701's are great but others claim they are bright. The 650's and 600's are said to be dark. The AT's, well I;m not sure and the same for the Grado.
My tastes vary but I tend to stick to main stream with a bit of Jazz, rock, blues. No Hip Hop, Orchestral and the like.

I have read quite a few threads on this forum when has given me some great advice but every little bit more will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back