Help! Newbie here. Spend my money.
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 21
  OK, so lastly...if I do end up opting for the Senns, with the 300 ohm impedance, I'd be best off getting an amp that is rated for up to 300 ohm, and if I get one that is only recommended up to 150, it would be a stretch for the amp's power output?  Otherwise it looks like many other headphones have lower impedance I wouldn't have to worry about it.

The Fiio E6 amp I have is rated up to a recommended 300 ohm, so I suppose I could also get a DAC and stack them, right?  I'd rather just have one other thing in the line rather than both a DAC and an amp, but it doesn't look like any of the DAC/AMP single units go up to 300 ohm.  They seem to only go up to 150 ohm.

Thanks again for the insight.

A recommendation;

every amp u think of will most likely have a thread. The best thing is if you can try out... but if u can't, check out the individual forums and do some scanning. I am sure that most Fiio amps will have a thread about them and almost certain that there will be discussions on what headphones were tried with them and what works well.

So go give those threads a check and see. 

D

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 21
OK, so lastly...if I do end up opting for the Senns, with the 300 ohm impedance, I'd be best off getting an amp that is rated for up to 300 ohm, and if I get one that is only recommended up to 150, it would be a stretch for the amp's power output?  Otherwise it looks like many other headphones have lower impedance I wouldn't have to worry about it.

The Fiio E6 amp I have is rated up to a recommended 300 ohm, so I suppose I could also get a DAC and stack them, right?  I'd rather just have one other thing in the line rather than both a DAC and an amp, but it doesn't look like any of the DAC/AMP single units go up to 300 ohm.  They seem to only go up to 150 ohm.

Thanks again for the insight.

What is your budget?

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 21
You need to find a headphone before you think of a amp. You are saying Senn at 300 ohm impedance so I'm guessing the 600 or 650's. For what you said your listening to I would think that the 650's would be the best fit. The amp is the next thing to find and this can be tricky sometimes. It will play out of my iPhone (on max volume) and doesn't sound awful but nothing like on my Bottlehead Crack. I don't have the E12 any longer so I can't comment on a portable amp but it does sound good on my QP1R but it is coming close to maxing it out also . Just because a amp will say it will run a certain headphone doesn't mean it will sound good doing it. I have a HiFiMan EF2A that I might have to break out from retirement to see how well it handles the the 650's. I don't like to recommend anything I haven't heard.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 21
You need to find a headphone before you think of a amp. You are saying Senn at 300 ohm impedance so I'm guessing the 600 or 650's. For what you said your listening to I would think that the 650's would be the best fit. The amp is the next thing to find and this can be tricky sometimes. It will play out of my iPhone (on max volume) and doesn't sound awful but nothing like on my Bottlehead Crack. I don't have the E12 any longer so I can't comment on a portable amp but it does sound good on my QP1R but it is coming close to maxing it out also . Just because a amp will say it will run a certain headphone doesn't mean it will sound good doing it. I have a HiFiMan EF2A that I might have to break out from retirement to see how well it handles the the 650's. I don't like to recommend anything I haven't heard.

+1 I think you should just get the headphone first and then take a look into the possible amps that you can get for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back