Help newb to choose headphones...
Mar 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

keregioz

New Head-Fier
Hello there...

I have pair of senn. HD590 I'm quite satisfied with. Not that I've had anything to compare them with, they're the only hi end headphones I've ever used.
Anyway, after a lot of abuse they still work fine most of the time but occasionally there are some audio cuts in the right speaker when I tilt my head in a certain way. So I'm thinking maybe is time to get some new headphones.

After some research I did on the internet, I'm leaning towards three models: Senn. HD600, Beyer DT990 and AKG K701.

What are the differences between them and which would you suggest?

Also, I think I'm going to buy a headphone amp along with the headphones. Until know I listened with the HD590 through the phones output of a sony hifi system and they sounded fine. However I've read that the HD590 don't benefit that much from an headphone amp. Do you think is necessary to get one with the models I mentioned earlier? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a headphone amp, will a cheap one like this for example: ART HEADAMP 4 - Greek International Cyberstore do a decent job?

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Three very nice phones you've listed there. What kind of music do you listen to? What sound do you want the headphones to present? Much bass? Cold and clinic? Detailed and open? Closed and up-front? Big soundstage? Dark? Bright?

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 3
I listen to many kinds of music, mainly orchestral soundtracks and metal/rock and I also watch a lot of movies.
I would like a detailed and open sound since besides listening to music I also use the headphones for recording and mixing, I don't want studio headphones though. If by big soundstage you mean wider stereo image then that would definately be nice. As for bright or dark and bass I'm not really sure. My only experience are the HD590 and the bass seem fine and they seem bright enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back