HELP: New Soundcard/Audio Interface : USB-C, low latency, Mic Input with Mic Preamp, DAC / ADC , Headphone Amp (with power) <$1000 - does it exist?
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a new "all-in-one" interface for computer:

- usb-c input, 24b/192kHz (DSD, MQA are optional)
- Mic inputs (with Preamp, adjustable via a knob, phantom power is a plus)
- Decent DAC (and also, as Mic is analog, ADC)
- powerful enough headphone amp with low impedance output and enough current (USB powered Creative soundcards can't control harder headphones enough)
- Stable drivers for Win10/11
- Low latency (capable for round-trip monitoring)
- Separate power input (so, not USB-bus powered)

Does it even exist? Feels like I have to buy a separate DAC/ADC (say RME), separate Mic Preamp and maybe even a separate headphone amp. Is there no all-in-one solution below $1000USD? And please don't recommend Schiit Hel, I've heard enough horror stories of QC and I have no local support / service chain here in EU for that at any rate (would cost an arm and a leg to keep sending it back to US for repairs).

Something that "just works". Anything out there?

Topping has some cheap <$200 USD new Audio interfaces (E2x2 and E1x2 OTG), but again, QC is not their forte. I just want something robust that works.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 12
Does it have to have be separately powered (i.e. you can't use a powered USB hub)?

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Usually usb-powered are not powerful enough to drive headphones to more than a few dozen mW.

So preferably not USB-powered.

Ah, okay I see. Will a max of 240mW@ 32 ohms do?

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Hmm, that I don't know. It's Apogee's Boom. They claim that high impedance headphones are not an issue, but don't list specs beyond 32 Ohms.

Additionally, your personal latency threshold may come into play. The Boom is pretty low, under 10 ms in most cases:

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 3.40.00 PM.png

But if you want zero latency, you'll have move up to one of their higher models.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Does it even exist? Feels like I have to buy a separate DAC/ADC (say RME), separate Mic Preamp and maybe even a separate headphone amp. Is there no all-in-one solution below $1000USD?
Yes, there’s lots of them, from a number of different manufacturers starting from around $80. The difficult part is the low latency monitoring along with a low price, although there are various alternatives from Presonus and others but you’re mainly looking at prosumer products designed for home studio use. One point to seriously reconsider is your requirement for 192kHz sample rates (or DSD), stick to 44.1/48kHz or possibly up to 96kHz if you have a very specific requirement (such as specific sound design requirements).

I’m not very au fait with current prosumer ADC/DAC offerings, I know more about the pro products but they have functionality you don’t need and will break your budget. Probably the best place to answer your question would be gearspace, which caters to home studio/prosumer products.

G

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes, there’s lots of them, from a number of different manufacturers starting from around $80. The difficult part is the low latency monitoring along with a low price, although there are various alternatives from Presonus and others but you’re mainly looking at prosumer products designed for home studio use. One point to seriously reconsider is your requirement for 192kHz sample rates (or DSD), stick to 44.1/48kHz or possibly up to 96kHz if you have a very specific requirement (such as specific sound design requirements).

I’m not very au fait with current prosumer ADC/DAC offerings, I know more about the pro products but they have functionality you don’t need and will break your budget. Probably the best place to answer your question would be gearspace, which caters to home studio/prosumer products.

G

Haven't really found anything below $1000 that has enough power to drive headphones. Almost everything tested remains at paltry 10-40mW output power, and very often the output impedance is way over 1Ohm (making response wonky with some headphones).

I can get almost everything else in a one-in-all unit, but the headphone amp part is always lacking (in case of cheap Schiit / Topping units, it's the actual QC/reliability). At c. $1200USD levels there start to be options.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Hmm, that I don't know. It's Apogee's Boom. They claim that high impedance headphones are not an issue, but don't list specs beyond 32 Ohms.

But if you want zero latency, you'll have move up to one of their higher models.

Thanks, had missed Apogee Boom somehow. It has semi-decent output of 64mW into 300Ohm, not a real oompf HPA, but perhaps enough for my current cans. Output impedance is over 1Ohm though.

1713501792622.png

I'll go and see if I can find it locally so I can test it. Thanks! The roundtrip latency is "good enough" for my purposes, don't need "zero latency" live perf roundtrip figures.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks, had missed Apogee Boom somehow. It has semi-decent output of 64mW into 300Ohm, not a real oompf HPA, but perhaps enough for my current cans. Output impedance is over 1Ohm though.

Welcome! Hopefully, it might just have enough drive? Also, Apogee's site says "Headphone output impedance 0.5 Ohm" so that might need some clarification as well.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Haven't really found anything below $1000 that has enough power to drive headphones. Almost everything tested remains at paltry 10-40mW output power, and very often the output impedance is way over 1Ohm (making response wonky with some headphones).
Ah, that is an unusual requirement. Studio HPs tend to have higher impedance and 40mW tends to be plenty, consumer ones are a bit bizarre sometimes though.
The roundtrip latency is "good enough" for my purposes, don't need "zero latency" live perf roundtrip figures.
Unless you have an analogue mixer then latency is never zero. Even low latency (3-5ms) is a problem for some musicians and traditionally is one of the reasons why pro tools dominated the market. If the Apogee Boom isn’t the right one for you, I would again advise you ask on gearspace.com, it might be that a separate HP amp will be required if you’re using strange HPs with a very low impedance.

G

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Welcome! Hopefully, it might just have enough drive? Also, Apogee's site says "Headphone output impedance 0.5 Ohm" so that might need some clarification as well.
Yeah, manufacturers tend to specify and advertise things that their products don't actually pass. 1.5 Ohm is not that bad though. Need to go and check Boom locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back