HELP! New MKIII not working!!!
Oct 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a slighty used MKIII in the mail.

Now it has Russian 6H6N-V and 6CQ6 3920 tubes [from the buyer] which i wiggled in ever so carefully. once that was done, i pluged in my RCA cable to my ipod, and my headphones into the jack. than, I connected the power cable and powered the amp on, and left it to warm up for 10+ minutes.

no sound is outputted. yes i have the cables in the right spot, 3x checked. the volume knob does nothing. i tried 2 sets of cans, which both outputt fine from the ipod, but the amp still has no sound :[[[[

What should I do??? tips???

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 32
Turn the amp over and look through the access holes in the chassis and see if the jumpers are on the pins for using EF92 tube types (6CQ6). Jumpers off these pins for EF95 (6AK5) family of tubes.

If they are not installed...do you have them handy ? They are the same jumper used on computer motherboards etc...

Did the seller include these in the sale ?

Make sure your gain settings are correct for your headphone impedance. The other access holes underneath with the 4 switches - all off for gain of 10 (300 ohm cans). All on for gain of 3 (under 100 ohms...I'm guessing since I haven't looked at the manual in a long time).

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 32
Are using a LOD or connecting your cable directly into the ipod's headphone jack? IF the latter, make sure your volume on the ipod is nearly maxed out, otherwise you would not hear anything on the headphone amp's output side... If the former, I don't have any suggestions right off the bat...

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn the amp over and look through the access holes in the chassis and see if the jumpers are on the pins for using EF92 tube types (6CQ6). Jumpers off these pins for EF95 (6AK5) family of tubes.

If they are not installed...do you have them handy ? They are the same jumper used on computer motherboards etc...

Did the seller include these in the sale ?

Make sure your gain settings are correct for your headphone impedance. The other access holes underneath with the 4 switches - all off for gain of 10 (300 ohm cans). All on for gain of 3 (under 100 ohms...I'm guessing since I haven't looked at the manual in a long time).

Peete.

Ok, i just checked, the front tubes [driver tubes] are "5654 USA" tubes,these aren't EF92 tubes, are they? maybe he sent the wrong tubes... the 5654 tubes are EF95 tubes right? so i should take the jumper off, because right now it's on.

damn, i thought he included the upgraded tubes like he said he did so i just popped them in:\ very dishonest if he didn't

they're all all, the switches, cause i have under 100 ohms.

ill try tkaing the jumper off now

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 32
Hi Rev,

Yep those are EF95's most likely the GE stock tubes the amp ships with when bought from LD.

Take the jumpers off and see what happens. Gain setting is good...I take it to mean "all" means all 4 are on = gain of 3.

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Hi Rev,

Yep those are EF95's most likely the GE stock tubes the amp ships with when bought from LD.

Take the jumpers off and see what happens. Gain setting is good...I take it to mean "all" means all 4 are on = gain of 3.

Peete.

Yes! it worked!

Edit: There was 2 jumpers, i took the second one off, and now the amp works perfectly
biggrin.gif
!

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, are all the tubes lighting up? Are all the RCA plugs pushed all the way in? Is the 3.5mm jack on the iPod end all the way in? Do you know if the cables you're using work 100%?

haha i didn't know there was 2 jumpers.
i fixed the issue! you guys have no idea how thankful i am for you!

now to hit this seller up for my upgraded tubes :\

thanks again guys! savoirs!

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 32
Cool....glad to help Rev...

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Cool....glad to help Rev...

Peete.

OK i have another question sorry :[

the amp is all warmed up and outputting sound but its distroted when it comes to the lows, very distorted.

im going:

x-fi>RCA>litte dot MKIII
or
ipox>RCA>LD MKIII

the x-fi sounds great when my cans are plugged into it, but when the amp is in the equation, they sound like crap :[ please help! my ipods mini-out sounds better than the MKIII

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 32
Sounds like your pre amping the source twice.......can you get a line level out from the X-Fi card ?

Try lowering the output of the X-Fi card to 50%. Do you have a LOD (Line out Dock) for the IPOD ?

What model is your X-FI card so I can go have a look at it's output possibilities ?

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Sounds like your pre amping the source twice.......can you get a line level out from the X-Fi card ?

Try lowering the output of the X-Fi card to 50%. Do you have a LOD (Line out Dock) for the IPOD ?

Peete.

im using the x-fi's standard 3.5 mm jack out [the green, lol] and when the amp is connected to it, it sounds like crap. when i use my ipod + the amp i use the 3.5 mm and it sounds like crap.

so i tested it by just pluging my headphones straight into my ipod and the headphones sound great :\ and same with the x-fi, when plugged straight into the x-fi, the cans sound great.

at 50% x-fi it sounds even worse, i had it at 25% and the amp at about 40% :\

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 32
Turn off any FX processing like EAX, crystallizer, EQ etc....make sure it's set to pass the signal untouched. You need to find a line level out...what version of X-FI is your card ? Make sure you have allow digital signal on this device checked in the computer control panel under system devices.

Test the MK III with another source besides the IPOD and computer/X-FI for the moment so we can rule out the MK III first.

I'm convinced your sending an amped signal to the front end of the MK III when it expects a line level source signal. That hot signal is overloading the MK III's preamp stage causing it to sound horrid.

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Turn off any FX processing like EAX, crystallizer, EQ etc....make sure it's set to pass the signal untouched. You need to find a line level out...what version of X-FI is your card ? Make sure you have allow digital signal on this device checked in the computer control panel under system devices.

Test the MK III with another source besides the IPOD and computer/X-FI for the moment so we can rule out the MK III first.

I'm convinced your sending an amped signal to the front end of the MK III when it expects a line level source signal. That hot signal is overloading the MK III's preamp stage causing it to sound horrid.

Peete.

Pete man, I must be having a bad day, because I resat the tubes 2-3 times and now they sound great. better than my ipod. i make sure the x-fi was fine [the settings] and it was. i just reseating them to double check and it worked. no more distortion, at least right now. its still warming up, i'll let you know.

btw you're the man. i wish this site had reps like Overclock.net cause you'd have like 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back