HELP - new amp with multiple inputs?
Mar 8, 2004 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WindyCityCy

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the ability to play multiple sources with my headphones. My current setup is a Meier Corda HA1 MKII with Beyer DT880 (sometimes Senn HD25 and Shure E5). My source is a Sony DVPS7700.

I want to be able to include (at the very least) audio input from a video source (Digital Cable, VCR, DVR in the near future) in addition to the audio from the CD player I am currently using. I need to be able to watch TV through my headphones while my wife is sleeping. I may also want to include my iPod as a source for the convenience factor. She has given me the OK to upgrade my headphone amp as long as I have a solution that keeps the TV quiet when she goes to bed. Our place is a loft and sound travels quite easily.

So, I am considering a couple of routes (maybe more if someone can suggest). The criteria are the ability to support critical audio listening along with late night TV viewing (currently digital cable or VCR taped shows); an improvement over my current amp in critical audio performance - this is most important; good pairing with my headphones (and possibly senn HD650 in future) and the ability to switch between sources easily. The routes I'm considering:

1) an amp/preamp combo - such as the PreHead
2) a second amp with one serving my TV needs and the other my critical audio needs - such as the XP-7 (portability might be nice) or HR-2

Hopefully the Head-Fi forum can help me make the best decision. Your direction along with amp/preamp suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Are there other options to consider besides the PreHead that provide input selection and how do they compare (sound, price, etc)? How does the PreHead compare vs. the XP-7 and HR-2? Eagerly awaiting some responses.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd opt for a ASL MG Head OTL 32. It will drive any headphones (including K1000's) and it is also a preamp with four inputs that would allow it's use in a stereo setup. If you want solid state then the SUGDEN HeadMaster should fit the bill (three inputs and remote).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back