Help: Needing a DAC that could warm my system due to hyperacusis.
Apr 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

2bxfile

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings:

Re:  Looking for some help in choosing an external DAC that might help with brightness because of an unfortunate and negative hearing condition I've developed:  hyperacusis.

I'm looking to add an external DAC to my simple 2 channel amp system which includes: 
1 - Speakers:  Monitor Audio Bronze 2.  I purchased these because of their "sweet" sounding tweeter.
2 - Integrated Amplifier:  Cambridge CXA 60 which is a little on the bright side with its onboard DAC > 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC.
3 - Source:  Marantz CD 6400 which has a 24-bit Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

I'm listening to the Marantz's DAC now as it is a little warmer and fuller to me as compared to the Cambridge's thinner; brighter and a bit harsher presentation.

I was looking at the Schitt Modi Multibit for price and also the feedback that I had been hearing.  But, I stopped short because of a couple of posters describing some attributes with it's sound signature that they were experiencing that led me to believe that this might not be ideal for my hearing.  Also, I live outside of the USA and to audition and send it back is not cost desirable.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, questions or helps in any way shape or form that they could offer me through their experience, I would be ever so grateful.  I find that I have to now listen at a low volume level which is not the greatest because I've experienced that equipment sounds incrementally better as volume increases - to a point.

Thanks so much fellas,

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 7
  Greetings:

Re:  Looking for some help in choosing an external DAC that might help with brightness because of an unfortunate and negative hearing condition I've developed:  hyperacusis.

I'm looking to add an external DAC to my simple 2 channel amp system which includes: 
1 - Speakers:  Monitor Audio Bronze 2.  I purchased these because of their "sweet" sounding tweeter.
2 - Integrated Amplifier:  Cambridge CXA 60 which is a little on the bright side with its onboard DAC > 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC.
3 - Source:  Marantz CD 6400 which has a 24-bit Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

I'm listening to the Marantz's DAC now as it is a little warmer and fuller to me as compared to the Cambridge's thinner; brighter and a bit harsher presentation.

I was looking at the Schitt Modi Multibit for price and also the feedback that I had been hearing.  But, I stopped short because of a couple of posters describing some attributes with it's sound signature that they were experiencing that led me to believe that this might not be ideal for my hearing.  Also, I live outside of the USA and to audition and send it back is not cost desirable.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, questions or helps in any way shape or form that they could offer me through their experience, I would be ever so grateful.  I find that I have to now listen at a low volume level which is not the greatest because I've experienced that equipment sounds incrementally better as volume increases - to a point.

Thanks so much fellas,

I listened to a Rega CDP before (not sure if it was the Planet or Apollo) and it sounded like Norah Jones desperately needs to snort spicy chicken soup. You might want to look into those if you're still keeping CDPs as an option. Also look into an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb.

For DACs, there's the Lite DAC-AH. Try to find one with the tube output modification and then roll the tube.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Sorry about your hearing. I must agree that the Marantz dac sounds warm, all the Marantz gear I've ever owned sounds warm. I'm currently auditioning the new Audio GD Singularity 19 which clearly sounds warm to me, but not sure you would find it warmer than the Marantz you have.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Sorry about your hearing. I must agree that the Marantz dac sounds warm, all the Marantz gear I've ever owned sounds warm. I'm currently auditioning the new Audio GD Singularity 19 which clearly sounds warm to me, but not sure you would find it warmer than the Marantz you have.

Hello Audioj-68:

What is the cost of the Audio GD Singularity 19?  Did you also purchase the DIY R2R piece to go along with it?  Do you have to order it from China?

Thanks

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I paid $800 for my configuration ordered directly from Audio-GD in China with the built in 4pc DA MI and 2 TCXO upgrade. Took about 2 weeks to finally receive it where I live in California. If you're interested and willing to wait I might sell mine soon, still haven't decided. I just purchased a Holo Spring Lv 3 on audiogon a couple minutes ago because I've been auditioning different dac's including Soekris, Centrance, Denefrips Ares and of course the Audio-GD. I've posted my impressions of the Audio-GD vs Denefrips Ares on this Forum under the "DENEFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view" post #761

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 7
I paid $800 for my configuration ordered directly from Audio-GD in China with the built in 4pc DA MI and 2 TCXO upgrade. Took about 2 weeks to finally receive it where I live in California. If you're interested and willing to wait I might sell mine soon, still haven't decided. I just purchased a Holo Spring Lv 3 on audiogon a couple minutes ago because I've been auditioning different dac's including Soekris, Centrance, Denefrips Ares and of course the Audio-GD. I've posted my impressions of the Audio-GD vs Denefrips Ares on this Forum under the "DENEFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view" post #761

Copy that Audio-68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back