Help needed
Jun 17, 2014 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CasualCulture

New Head-Fier
I am 33, live in the Netherlands and a audiophile ( I want the very best out of my music)

This is my first post and I would love if you can help me out.

I am looking for a new headphone, my personal favour goes out to a closed back, I listen to music most of the times at my laptop powered with bang & olufsen audio so the headphone can fiddle well.

There are so many headphones available and so many new brands, I always look for build quality and the frequency response, I love a low bass 6/8hz and a high trebble 39/40+.

The music I listen, some names: the rolling stones, them/van morrison, jimi hendrix, bob dylan, neu, joy division/new order,

I like it raw and pure, bass is very important because it makes or breaks how it sounds many people forget that.

The reason I want a closed headphone is I am the one who listen to it, I don't want any leakage or as less as possible and no one else has to hear the great music I listen to.

The headphones I like are:

Ultrasone Pro 2900
AKG-K551
Beyerdynamic DT-770 32ohm
Audio Technica ATH-Pro700 MK2
Sony MDR-1R

I can't decide, each has it pros and cons when reading reviews and doing research. Maybe even a good open headphone is recommended by you. I am open for advice.

Thanks a lot.

Elroy

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 6
  There are so many headphones available and so many new brands, I always look for build quality and the frequency response, I love a low bass 6/8hz and a high trebble 39/40+.

Frequency range supplied by headphone manufacturers means absolutely nothing (if you're human then you don't hear anything outside 20Hz-20kHz range), so you shouldn't care much about it. I think that your preference is for V-shaped sound signature (that means more decibels in audible bass (20-200Hz) and treble (4-12kHz) range).

Personally I don't have much experience with many headphones, but I would go with something neutral and high quality like Sennheiser HD600 and just EQ them to achieve your favorite sound signature (unless you're into extremes like +30dB into bass).

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 6
+1 with the specs meaning little - if you like a lot of old recordings then a roll-off at the top will likely be a good idea, otherwise you might be uncomfortable while listening.

The DT770 gets my vote, great value for money. Get the 80 ohm version if plugging into a laptop.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you all for your recommendations and help, I am still searching and the following ones are on my top list: HD650, HD650, audio technica ATH-A900XLTD, NAD Viso HP50.

I am still thinking about the DT-770 pro.

Not easy to make a choice, all have their pros and cons. If there is one who fits like a glove it would be easier.

I am tepted by the Ath-A900XLTD and HD650 because I always look for the future, better save some more to buy quality than spend more on replacements.

Do you all use a DAC/AMP?

Thank you.

Elroy

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Even the ultrasone HFI-2400 and Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohm are seriuous options.

Help me out if possible.

Anyone using the NAD HP50, A-900XLTD or the HD600 and HD650

Thank you.

Elroy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back