Help Needed with Crossfader ASAP!
Mar 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I got a crossfader, and there's a pinout in the center, and solder tabs at the bottom. I'd like to make a quick and dirty crossfader to feed into my amp. Can anyone tell me what gets soldered where? It's a quick project for an interview I have on monday, hence the ASAP.

What goes where, and where is the output???

Would each source go to either side, then the center is the output, with 2 pins for right channel, two pins for left channel, and a single pin for ground? I can trace on the PCB what goes to which pin, and I would assume that the pins in the center are output.

I tried looking at Alps faders,but none had a similar pin situation.

Thank you in advance!

fader.jpg

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 2
Take your trusty DMM and check some resistances.

When the fader is all the way to the left, the left input should be more or less shorted to the output. So, with the fader all the way to the left, check Ω between a lug on the left side and what appear to be the corresponding lugs in the center and the right. When you measure 0Ω (or some very low impedance) than that is very likely the output.

To verify, with the fader still all the way left, check Ω between what you determined is an output lug (let's assume center) and a corresponding lug on the OPPOSITE channel from your first test (right, in this case). I would expect a measurement somewhere on the order of tens of kΩ.

Another 'fun' test would be to verify that the resistance increases between the input lug and output lug increases as you move the fader away from that input.

You can also check the resistance between the lugs and pins to determine which pins correspond to what. Whichever pin doesn't match up to a lug (I'd expect the center pin) is likely the ground for the fader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back