help needed with computer
Jan 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fatmaggot

Head-Fier
I built my computer about 2 weeks ago, and I have been trying to play games(bf3, most wanted, shogun tw2) but whenever I do my computer ends up crashing, i get shades of grey accros my screen on vertical lines, and my computer makes a buzzing sound through the speakers. However, my computer will not crash when benchmarking on shogun tw2.

My specs are : i5 3470 @3.2ghz

16gb ram

Gigabyte hd7850 oc 2gb

Asrock h77

I was wondering if there was anything that i could do to make my computer not crash. I have downloaded a whole bunch of drivers, and reinstalled games but to no avail. I will be sending my graphics card in under warranty.

Ps. Does anyone know what a typical test is of? Because if i can't get my computer to crash on benchmark, I am afraid I may not get a return/refund.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 9
First shut down and turn off the computer, switch the power supply to off, and then unplug it.

Next open the case and check for loose RAM.  Sometimes RAM can be partially inserted and will cause crashes.

If you have more than one stick of RAM make sure that you use slots 1 & 3 first, then populate 2 & 4 next.  RAM timing is often the cause of crashes.

Check that the Video card is secured much like the RAM.  If you have a modern video card and are running a 450 W power supply or something with less power the system will most likely crash.

Check your graphics settings and make sure they match your monitor(s).

Unplug your mouse and any other USB devices ( besides your keyboard ) and test again.  I have seen mice cause crashes because they were faulty and pulled too much current from the +5 / +12 volt rails.

Turn down the graphics settings on the game(s) and test again.

Check the BIOS and make sure you did not miss something obvious in the memory / video settings.

Lastly, you may want to download a free CPU temp monitor program and make sure your CPU is not over heating.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Agree with everything NA Blur.
At Newegg, the motherboard Asrock h77, has poor feedback (1/3 is negative), so it might be a defective motherboard.

The latest BIOs update for the motherboard is Dec. 11th 2012

Asus may not have the latest drivers.
Try going to the Realtek website for the latest audio drivers
Intel website for latest motherboard drivers.
AMD for latest video drivers.

Is the RAM two 8GB stick or four 4GB sticks?

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Might be the GPU overheating etc. Maybe you can get it replaced.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 9
I have 2x8gb , this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20876
and according to drivergenius all my drivers are up to date
Quote:
Agree with everything NA Blur.
At Newegg, the motherboard Asrock h77, has poor feedback (1/3 is negative), so it might be a defective motherboard.

The latest BIOs update for the motherboard is Dec. 11th 2012

Asus may not have the latest drivers.
Try going to the Realtek website for the latest audio drivers
Intel website for latest motherboard drivers.
AMD for latest video drivers.

Is the RAM two 8GB stick or four 4GB sticks?

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 9
bump/update.
I have changed the slots that the ram is going into, which seems to make a small difference, in that i get less grey screen, but it still is crashing. I am getting a black screen, my computer won't buzz, but it will continue the sounds it has been playing. About a 2-3second sample of what it was currently playing , over and over again. I don't understand why it wont crash when i am not gaming though...

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Download Intel Burn test. Run tests for 1 hour at very high and maximum. If the PC remains stable, it shouldn't be a problem with the CPU.
Run Memtest from a USB stick. If it doesn't fail Memtest then the RAM is fine, at least fine in the current slots.
Download Furmark. Run the test for 1 hour. If it doesn't fail Furmark the problem is quite likely to be driver based, if it does you need a new GPU.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Something like this happened to my newly(at that time) built computer about 6 months ago. While I play LoL or SC2, the game would randomly crashes and screen would freeze with color lines everywhere and speakers would be buzzing extremely loud until i power it off. At first i thought it was ram, so i put the rams from my other rig on it, it still crashes. So then I try it with another gpu, still crashes, I was tired of this so i RMA the mainboard thinking its the cause, surprise surprise, it still crashes with the new motherboard. The only things left for me to test is the PSU or CPU, I decided to try the extra PSU i had, and the problem is gone....so in the end the cause for mine was a defective PSU. Not sure if you have the same problem as mine, just throwing this out there.

Edit: if you're wondering, the defective PSU i had is Corsair TX750M 750W.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 9
I had an issue similar to this and it turned out to be the sound drivers.

The official ones on Windows 7 were causing all kinds of issues, yet, the BETA ones were fine, and I haven't messed with them since.

This is for an X-Fi Xtreme Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back