Help needed starting DIY projects for Headphone cables
Jun 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Makun

New Head-Fier
I've been wanting to make my own headphone cables for my AKG 702, but not sure exactly where to look for stock cables for the project.  I'm looking for either very pure copper or silver cables with good shielding.  I think I know where to get the solder and connectors, but any help would be appreciated.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 2
This is a subject, that is gonna take a bit more information to give you a really good suggestion.  There are lots of factors with cables.  For example:

Do you want bare copper / silver, or pre-insulated? You can choose to insulate it yourself.
If you want pre-insulated, how many conductors do you want?
Solid or stranded?
Do you want a very flexible cable, or would you like a bit of memory to the cable?

As for side topics, have you given any consideration to the following:

What type of soldering station do you have or plan to get? <- very important to get a decent one if you plan to do a good bit of cable making
What type of solder are you going to use....I personally recommend Cardas Quad Eutectic, it's always done well for me.
Get a Helping Hands station...no question, get one if you dont have one, lol.
Keep in mind that whatever connectors you get must have openings wide enough to fit the outer diameter of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back