Help needed: PS Audio Digital Link III question
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blockman86

100+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this... It's likely a pretty basic question but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I currently own a PS Audio DLIII connected by TOSLINK to my pc.  It's currently outputting the signal to a virtue audio t-amp by rca which powers my Hifiman HE-5LE.

I'm in the market for some PC speakers now and was looking at the Audioengine A2s.  I'd like to connect them to my DAC as well as the T-amp.  The PS Audio does provide both RCA and XLR outputs so my question is, what would happen if I kept the T-amp connected to the RCA plugs while ALSO connecting the A2's by XLR to RCA cables?  Can the DAC output to both at the same time?  

I'm assuming this doesn't work, so I'll have to switch the RCA cables from the t-amp to the A2's, but I'd rather avoid this.  

Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking about?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Nobody has any idea?

I checked the manual for the DAC and it states that it can output to both but it "isn't recommended".  I've emailed PS Audio directly for an explanation but haven't heard back as of yet.  

Any one have a similar setup?

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I also have a PS Audio and wnated to do the same thing. But it didnt work :frowning2:. You can either use the RCA or the XLR outputs.

Nevertheless, I ve tried it in the same config as you with a XLR-RCA adapter. Maybe it works when there is a real XLR-XLR connection..

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the reply.  That's disappointing to hear, although I'm not too surprised.  Do other DACs allow multiple outputs?  I can't reason why this wouldn't work out, since the DAC isn't outputting any power...

When you did have both outputs running, did neither work or did one work over the other?

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 7
My Blue Circle dac can run rca and xlr at the same time.  Not sure if it is recommended, but it works.  You could always hook up the dac to a switch box of some sort.  Like this in reverse though:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Way-Audio-Video-AV-RCA-Switch-Selector-Box-Splitter-/300457335905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4a71c61#ht_1713wt_1177

There was an RCA switch on Parts Express that one person commented worked exactly in reverse.   But it is disc.  Not sure of the impact on sound but worth a shot at $5.00

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 7
I appreciate the help Bixby!

I've actually decided to get a new setup and purchased an Audio-gd NFB-10SE which will meet all of my requirements.  Now I just need to sell my PS Audio DLIII 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back