Help needed - Onkyo UD-5 & Foobar
Jul 29, 2004 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Johncan

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am new here but I have been playing with computer audio for several years. I have an older computer that I have hooked up to my secondary stereo. The computer has an AMD K6 533 mHz processor and 128 MB SDRAM with Win98SE as the OS. I am currently using an Onkyo UD-5 USB Digital A/V Adapter. It only has digital out and it is supposed to deliver high quality 44.1 kHz, or 48 kHz digital output signals. However, I believe it is based on the AC'97 codec and is therefore a resampler. Here is the only info I could find on it: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74533

What settings would you use in Foobar with the Onkyo UD-5? Also what setting would you use in Winamp 2.XX and with what plug-ins? The reason I am asking about both is I may use an Irman remote control with this rig and I have not found a remote plugin for Foobar that works with Irman.

I will be playing SHN, FLAC, and MP3 files. My DAC in this system is a Musical Fidelity X-24 DAC.

Thanks in advance!

John

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok, seeing as no one has replied, I will post what I have done.

Foobar 8.2
DSP -> resample to 48,000
Waveout
16-bit
ATH dithering

Signal shows up on my Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC as 48 kHz.

I think this is the best I can get out of it

I can't get Directsound to output at 48 kHz with the resampler. It always outputs at 44.1 kHz. It also won't work on anything higher than 16-bit, but I think that is a limitation of the Onkyo UD-5. I probably will be getting rid of the Onkyo.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back