Help needed on selecting a pair of headphones/earphones.
Jul 31, 2006 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JayJayz

100+ Head-Fier
I need help on deciding what is a better buy, i need a pair of high quality headphones or earphones to listen to my music, generally happy hardcore, hardstyle, which is bascially 180bpm music or so with deep bass lines, female vocals, 'techno' style music which is probably a very broad definition of what my tastes are like, but it gives you the idea.

I was tossing between shure's e5c or e500pth, sennheiser's hd 650 mainly.

Im a n00b when it comes to headphones etc, and from what i have gathered and researched on the internet these are the headphones i have chosen to choose between.

I have no idea whether these headphones are overpriced, over-rated or aren't compatible with the style of music i like listening to. Or which is better than the others.

I've also realised something about a link with headphones and amps and the cables as well, it all seems quite complicated for me and im having a hard time making my decision and i don't understand all these things when it comes to headphones.

I need the pair which would suit my CD player the best, for on the go listening, which will allow me to listen to my music and really appreciate and enjoy it, i am an audiophile if you call that person someone who loves high quality sound. Money really isn't quite a factor but i would not spend more than $600 for a pair of phones. So theres my list, can you guide my choice, help me out a little.

I also am not worried about the hd 650's fact that it isnt a compact design, i would not worry about wearing these headphones on the bus or walking along, if they are better than the shure's then thats what i will choose. The fact that the shure's are a compact design does not rank them any higher at all for me, i want the best possible quality sound i may acheive, im not worried about whether they will fit inside my pocket.

Cheers guys, any help greatly appreciated, also if you would like to reccommend another specific headphone/earphone that you feel is superior to the ones i have listed, please go ahead as the products i have selected were selected with not great knowledge about high-end headphones. Thanks once more.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 8
My initial thoughs are that you would probably be better buying two pairs.

The HD650's are a great product but they definitely need an amp to do themselves justice and I can't really see an ipod or similar being up to the job. Likewise I can't see a pair of high-end In-ear phones as the best solution for home listening.

Prob better to split your budget and think again.

Simon

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 8
why do you say the hd 650's need an amp to do them justice? also what is the basic principle of amps and high end cables ?

ALSO, what would you reccomend other than the headphones/earphones i chose? the AKG 701's ?? look and seem to be allright as well.

cheers.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 8
hd650 would be better all around with an amp, especially if you're going to use your cd player to drive them (is that even possible??). I don't own an amp, but I guess the idea is if you connect your headphone through the amp, the sound quality is better.. same goes for cables.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayz
why do you say the hd 650's need an amp to do them justice? also what is the basic principle of amps and high end cables ?

ALSO, what would you reccomend other than the headphones/earphones i chose? the AKG 701's ?? look and seem to be allright as well.

cheers.

In very simple terms headphones like the HD650 are less efficient at converting output from the source into noise than dedicated portable cans, so you have to turn the volume up far more to get the desired level of volume. With your choice of music I would imagine you like to listen quite loud. I am not saying the HD650's would be unlistenable, or even poor, but I doubt if you would get full value for the significant investment.

I am a Sennhiser junkie, but Senns may not be the best choise for your music, so I will leave it to others to majhe specific recommendations

Simon

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 8
It's not as easy as that.

The Senn 650 will probably not be a bad choice, if you go for fullsize phones. IEM's have a hard time matching similarly priced fullsize cans.

Beyond that you will have to listen to them and then you will know if it was the right phone, no earlier than that.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 8
get the shure e500pth, i have a set of e2c's and my dad has the e5c, amazing sound and isolation, even for the cheapest model! the e500pth has double bass drivers, so i imagine it will fill your criteria nicely, no amp necessary!

also, with the HD650, they are bulky and a hassle to carry around, little earbuds are light, and easy to stuff in a pocket, lol
blink.gif

now, about the amp, many people say that by under-driving headphones, or any speaker for that matter, that without enough power, the high and low ends of the sound spectrum just aren't being produced, hence the invention of the "loudness" switch!

in the end, get the e500pth or the e5c, whatever ends up cheaper, or if you just want the better bass of the e500pth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back