Help needed on picking headphones for movies
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Crossfire1

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser 558s and also a Denon 2113 receiver. Lately I have been thinking about picking up another pair to use primarily for movies.  I love the sound of the 558s but feel as if the bass impact is lacking on movies.

My budget would be around £150 and I would rather use them with my receiver than pickup a dedicated headphone amp.

I was thinking about either picking up a pair of ultrasone 2400 or beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm.

Would It be a noticeable improvement with the headphones mentioned or would I be best just sticking with the 558s ?

Which would be the better choice ultrsone 2400 or beyerdynamic dt 770 for movies ? also open to other suggestions in my price range.

Many thanks for the help , much appreciated.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey, what about Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro?

They provide powerful surrounding mid bass, crystal clear treble and lush but just a tad recessed upper midrange.
Soundstaging and comfort is top notch.

Best Luck!

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 6

I was thinking that maybe the 990s (250ohm) would be too much for my receiver ? the 32ohm model is a bit too expensive for my budget.

Most entry level receivers use resistors from speaker outs to feed the headphone jack. While this is not the best technical way of driving headphones, in real life you can get very good performance -especially with high impedance headphones- as far as the speaker outs are good quality.

Don't worry about DT990's Pro impedance, I'm pretty sure your receiver will drive them fine.

You can't plug DT990s directly into an average smartphone and pretend them to sound loud, for sure, but all receivers I've tried had enough voltage to drive 250 Ohm Beyers without any trouble.

In the future, if you feel the need to get their full potential in terms of transparency and precision you can always upgrade for something like an Asgard 2 or maybe a Vali (if you want to try those little tubes)

Best Luck!

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Many thanks for the help , it is much appreciated.

The dt 990 does seem like a good choice now The Philips Fidelio x1 looks really good as well , I am thinking about going for that instead.

Its a little over my budget but seems like a good choice.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 6
  Many thanks for the help , it is much appreciated.

The dt 990 does seem like a good choice now The Philips Fidelio x1 looks really good as well , I am thinking about going for that instead.

Its a little over my budget but seems like a good choice.

Yeah, Fidelio X1 seem to be a nice pick too. Best for portable players and small amps, probably worse for plugging into a receiver (due to the receiver output impedance - quite high most of the times)

Both X1 and DT990 should provide plenty of mid bass, the main difference is in the treble. DT990s are definitely bright, while Fidelios are clearly dark. So Fidelios are easier on the ears and much much more forgiving of poorly recorded material. On the other hand 990s are colder/analytical in comparison, but more transparent specially with high quality recordings.

Despite the impedance mismatch thing, the right pick is down to preference. If you want sharp and detailed high frequencies DT990s are clearly the way to go, if you prefer a softer and more forgiving presentation at the expense of some details, then X1s should be the right pick.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back