Help needed on home set up.
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Hi Mr J,

I would love to be able to try some headphones on and test them out etc. There just isn't any where locally that I can do this, I know for a purchase like this I should try and make the effort.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the HD650's and just need to decide on an amp/DAC for around £200 any suggestions?

Cheers for all your comments and suggestions.

Hi Mr L,
Yes, it can be difficult finding a place to try out 'phones.
I need to drive over an hour to try good headphones out!
I've heard it said that the HD650's have a very relaxing sound.......I just can't get around the comfort issue!
Try looking up this on the Head Fi forum:   a young lady named "Dubstep Girl" did a very good comparison of Grado 325i, AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650 and Beyer DT990. Well worth reading!

This may be to risky for you, but you could get an iBasso D12, and if you don't think the headphone amp is good enough, you could use it as a DAC and get a better headphone amp, which is what I did.
But I think you really want something to use with your iPhone? And are you looking for portable or a desktop system? 
Here are a few desktop suggestions:
I have never heard the HRT iStreamer but it seems to be a very good Apple compatible DAC. Unfortunately it is $200.00 USD and you would still need a headphone amp.
There are not a lot of iPhone/iPod compatible DACs out there.......sigh.
Some folks like the FIIO E9 for approx. $100, some folks like the Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp for $104 USD but I have no experience with either brand.
I think that works out to approx. 200 of the Queen's best?
Regards,
Chris

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 28
Hi Mr J,

Cheers for your advice.

I kinda had a change of direction yesterday as I saw the  Audio-technica ATH W1000x on amaozon for £379.00 [now at £399] [*edit pah now at £566, should of grabbed them when i had the chance*] and got extremely tempted by them, They look awesome and the most reviews say they have a large soundstage for a closed set of cans, plus they are easy to drive.

I had kind of convinced myself i wanted open backed for the soundstage and i already have my tma-1 [for portable use mostly] And I had kinda settled on the HD650's as a good starting point, but choosing the right amp seems to be paramount to enjoying the HD650

So still tempted by the W1000x at £399 as I could probably spend less on the amp and not that it should matter too much... but they do look shiny and woody and comfortable and ...

The trouble with this route is I now have to start looking at other closed back phones like the Denon AHD5000 [£379.00 atm] 

pffffft i might just have to stop all this umming and arrrrring soon and take the plunge. *Edit* Arrggh now the AKG Q701 are £299, same price as The HD650, still expensive compared to the U.S. but..... what to do what to do??? *Edit*

I'll look into that review you recommended.as well as the amps.

In regards to my amp needs, It doesn't need to be portable I just happened to come across the E7/E9 combo and thought it sounded like a good idea, relatively cheap and the DAC my improve my portable set up etc. in reality I'm quite happy with just my iphone and headphones for walking to work without the need to stick some thing else in my pocket.

Headphone choice is one thing, amps etc is a whole new world that seems to be even larger and fraught with greater decision options than i'd have believed possible :)

Quote:
Hi Mr L,
Yes, it can be difficult finding a place to try out 'phones.
I need to drive over an hour to try good headphones out!
I've heard it said that the HD650's have a very relaxing sound.......I just can't get around the comfort issue!
Try looking up this on the Head Fi forum:   a young lady named "Dubstep Girl" did a very good comparison of Grado 325i, AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650 and Beyer DT990. Well worth reading!

This may be to risky for you, but you could get an iBasso D12, and if you don't think the headphone amp is good enough, you could use it as a DAC and get a better headphone amp, which is what I did.
But I think you really want something to use with your iPhone? And are you looking for portable or a desktop system? 
Here are a few desktop suggestions:
I have never heard the HRT iStreamer but it seems to be a very good Apple compatible DAC. Unfortunately it is $200.00 USD and you would still need a headphone amp.
There are not a lot of iPhone/iPod compatible DACs out there.......sigh.
Some folks like the FIIO E9 for approx. $100, some folks like the Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp for $104 USD but I have no experience with either brand.
I think that works out to approx. 200 of the Queen's best?
Regards,
Chris

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 28
Ok if I for go for the HD 650's which amp is best for my Budget of £300??

I have shortlisted the Audio-GD NFB-5 or the Matrix Mini-I I have looked at the nuforce ones but they start to get out my budget.*edit* are these amps fine with my iphone/ipod as a source?*

Other head phone option is the AKG Q701 as that has come down in price, but from the reviews I need a totally different type of amp.

All help appreciated! I'm feeling the need to get something sooner rather than later as I'm spending way too much time researching and not enough time listening!

Also I'll chuck  this in has I haven't mentioned it yet. I do a fair amount of gaming would my current amp/headphone choice be ok with that? input is optical out from xbox/ps3. This isnt a priority as I have a gaming headset/amp.

Still cursing myself for not getting the W1000x when they were super cheap:)

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 28
Sorry to trouble you all again, but something has just dawned on me... as I'll be using my Iphone as my source how do I connect this to my new amp etc.

I hadn't even considered this in the slightest and now after spending many hours looking at various threads on amps/dacs etc. it would appear I may need to be educated :)

cheers lazu

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Sorry to trouble you all again, but something has just dawned on me... as I'll be using my Iphone as my source how do I connect this to my new amp etc.

I hadn't even considered this in the slightest and now after spending many hours looking at various threads on amps/dacs etc. it would appear I may need to be educated :)

cheers lazu

No problem...............I love yakking away about this stuff!
biggrin.gif

It is confusing, isn't it?

It looks like the FIIO e& does not have an optical digital input.
And the E9 does not take a digital input from the iPhone.

You said you don't want portable, you want desktop so...............
Best way to get good sound out of an iPhone is to use a DAC like the HRT iStreamer. This takes the digital signal out of the iPhone and converts into analog.
Plug the iPhone into the HRT iStreamer "IDevice" port.
Then plug the red and white connectors on the other end of the iStreamer into the read and white input connectors on your headphone amp. So you are taking analog out of the iStreamer and into your headphone amp.
You also need to plug the iStreamer into a source of power.
Problem is..............not a lot of equipment out there takes a digital signal from iPhones, etc.     Irritating!

But you also may want to do gaming.........a lot of Head Fi-ers use headphones for gaming, should be no problem.
Unfortunately the iStreamer does not take in optical.
Went I want to use an optical signal I use an iBasso D12 which you can also use as a headphone amp. It works OK with my AKG Q701 'phones.
If you really don't need the optical input then the E9 is a good amp that doen't cost a King's ransom.
Somewhere on Head Fi some guy just did a massive test using the E9 and numerous headphones. I think his name is gwami.

In the next month or two I want to get an Arcam rDAC which has an optical input, a digital input for iPhones/iPads/iPods and a USB input for my computer.   The bad news is this unit costs $650 Cdn.

Cheers, CJ

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #21 of 28
confusing it is:)

I had looked into the streamer, but some reviews seemed to imply it wasn't that great, I will do more research on this today.

I read Gwarmi's E9 review, very good it was to.

I'm pretty sure I will end up getting either the audio gd NFB-5 or the Matrix cube/mini I as they seem like competent amps that go with the HD650 [in all my research these are the headphones I keep coming back to, I don't have a large head so I think the clamping issues mentioned will prob be fine] 

I like the idea of the above amps as they both have optical inputs for the PS3/Xbox/TV etc. so i can use it for that stuff in the future.

Primarily it will be purchased for Music. Space is a an issue in my house so a small little amp and headphones supplied by my handy Iphone seems like a good idea I just need to find the best way to get it into an amp.

I have been working my way through various other threads etc. in an attempt to find a solution or perhaps a better small and easy to use source, CD's are kinda out of the equation as most are boxed up and I really didn't use them much in recent years.

Is there not a cable that will go from the iphone to the amp? either from the line out or from the dock? 

To the cables forum I go :)

Edit: wow lots of stuff on this, still confused though. Question, There are many docks but dont they do the same as the component AV cable apple supply? as in out of the charging point into two RCA ends? these would go into an amp right??
Quote:
No problem...............I love yakking away about this stuff!
biggrin.gif

It is confusing, isn't it?

It looks like the FIIO e& does not have an optical digital input.
And the E9 does not take a digital input from the iPhone.

You said you don't want portable, you want desktop so...............
Best way to get good sound out of an iPhone is to use a DAC like the HRT iStreamer. This takes the digital signal out of the iPhone and converts into analog.
Plug the iPhone into the HRT iStreamer "IDevice" port.
Then plug the red and white connectors on the other end of the iStreamer into the read and white input connectors on your headphone amp. So you are taking analog out of the iStreamer and into your headphone amp.
You also need to plug the iStreamer into a source of power.
Problem is..............not a lot of equipment out there takes a digital signal from iPhones, etc.     Irritating!

But you also may want to do gaming.........a lot of Head Fi-ers use headphones for gaming, should be no problem.
Unfortunately the iStreamer does not take in optical.
Went I want to use an optical signal I use an iBasso D12 which you can also use as a headphone amp. It works OK with my AKG Q701 'phones.
If you really don't need the optical input then the E9 is a good amp that doen't cost a King's ransom.
Somewhere on Head Fi some guy just did a massive test using the E9 and numerous headphones. I think his name is gwami.

In the next month or two I want to get an Arcam rDAC which has an optical input, a digital input for iPhones/iPads/iPods and a USB input for my computer.   The bad news is this unit costs $650 Cdn.

Cheers, CJ

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
confusing it is:)

I had looked into the streamer, but some reviews seemed to imply it wasn't that great, I will do more research on this today.

I read Gwarmi's E9 review, very good it was to.

I'm pretty sure I will end up getting either the audio gd NFB-5 or the Matrix cube/mini I as they seem like competent amps that go with the HD650 [in all my research these are the headphones I keep coming back to, I don't have a large head so I think the clamping issues mentioned will prob be fine] 

I like the idea of the above amps as they both have optical inputs for the PS3/Xbox/TV etc. so i can use it for that stuff in the future.

Primarily it will be purchased for Music. Space is a an issue in my house so a small little amp and headphones supplied by my handy Iphone seems like a good idea I just need to find the best way to get it into an amp.

I have been working my way through various other threads etc. in an attempt to find a solution or perhaps a better small and easy to use source, CD's are kinda out of the equation as most are boxed up and I really didn't use them much in recent years.

Is there not a cable that will go from the iphone to the amp? either from the line out or from the dock? 

To the cables forum I go :)

Edit: wow lots of stuff on this, still confused though. Question, There are many docks but dont they do the same as the component AV cable apple supply? as in out of the charging point into two RCA ends? these would go into an amp right??

Hi Mr L,

As you have found out, there is a lot of cables out there which take analog from the iPhone to your amp, unfortunately it takes an analog signal out of the iPhone and into the amp, but please be aware that I have tried taking analog out and it is not the best sounding. In my opinion, good headphones like the HD650 "deserve" a much better signal out of the iPhone.
There are a lot of docks which take analog out of the iPhone (bad) and there are few docks which take digital out of the iPhone (good) and into either a DAC or direct into a headphone amp, so beware!

I have a Wadia iPod dock, I originally bought it to use with my stereo: I put the iPod in the dock, I then go from the dock's digital output into a digital input on my stereo preamp. So you need a DAC for the dock! Crazy!  I also use the dock's digital output into my iBasso D12 when I want to listen to headphones in my cramped home office. 
The Wadia  dock also has an analog signal straight out of the iPod (or iPhone), which sounds rather muddy to me when I plug it into my headphone amp.

Problem is, the dock was $400 when I bought it a few years ago. I only bought it because back then IT WAS THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD GET DIGITAL OUT OF AN iPod!
I blame Steve Jobs!
wink_face.gif

You're right, it's a jungle out there. But it is possible to get a good signal out of an iPhone and get something small!
Chris

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 28
Hi Chris,

Typical apple issues here :) Basically if i want to use my iphone I'm gonna have to cough up for a digital transport either the hrt istreamer [£185] or something like the onkyo ND-s1 [£130] [that wadia 171i dock is £600!!!!! on amazon.]

The problem with the istreamer is that it is a DAC aswell which means the matrix cube etc. would be a bit over kill and the matrix m stage would be ideal except it has no optical in :frowning2: The onkyo would be ideal other than the price to get a a clean signal into a DAC/amp combo, what a pain in the wallet.

This thread is starting to belong in a different part of this forum now though :) 

so my needs are now iphone> ?digital transport? > ?AMP/DAC? > to suit HD650 which i'm eagerly waiting to purchase :D

anyone else got any opinions? do I have any other source options for the price of a transport? 

Quote:
Hi Mr L,

As you have found out, there is a lot of cables out there which take analog from the iPhone to your amp, unfortunately it takes an analog signal out of the iPhone and into the amp, but please be aware that I have tried taking analog out and it is not the best sounding. In my opinion, good headphones like the HD650 "deserve" a much better signal out of the iPhone.
There are a lot of docks which take analog out of the iPhone (bad) and there are few docks which take digital out of the iPhone (good) and into either a DAC or direct into a headphone amp, so beware!

I have a Wadia iPod dock, I originally bought it to use with my stereo: I put the iPod in the dock, I then go from the dock's digital output into a digital input on my stereo preamp. So you need a DAC for the dock! Crazy!  I also use the dock's digital output into my iBasso D12 when I want to listen to headphones in my cramped home office. 
The Wadia  dock also has an analog signal straight out of the iPod (or iPhone), which sounds rather muddy to me when I plug it into my headphone amp.

Problem is, the dock was $400 when I bought it a few years ago. I only bought it because back then IT WAS THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD GET DIGITAL OUT OF AN iPod!
I blame Steve Jobs!
wink_face.gif

You're right, it's a jungle out there. But it is possible to get a good signal out of an iPhone and get something small!
Chris

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Typical apple issues here :) Basically if i want to use my iphone I'm gonna have to cough up for a digital transport either the hrt istreamer [£185] or something like the onkyo ND-s1 [£130] [that wadia 171i dock is £600!!!!! on amazon.]

The problem with the istreamer is that it is a DAC aswell which means the matrix cube etc. would be a bit over kill and the matrix m stage would be ideal except it has no optical in :frowning2: The onkyo would be ideal other than the price to get a a clean signal into a DAC/amp combo, what a pain in the wallet.

This thread is starting to belong in a different part of this forum now though :) 

so my needs are now iphone> ?digital transport? > ?AMP/DAC? > to suit HD650 which i'm eagerly waiting to purchase :D

anyone else got any opinions? do I have any other source options for the price of a transport? 

Good question:
Anybody else out there?
I certainly don't have a tremendous amount of experience with a lot of the equipment out there.

I do not think the Matrix Cube is Overkill for your needs:
You can use the Cube to get a digital signal out of your notebook (I'm assuming you have a notebook computer), use it to get an optical signal out of your gaming station, it has an analog input, etc.
Versatility!
I have a Matrix M Stage, their delivery is VERY fast and it is a good sounding product.
In addition, the latest M Stage also has a USB input.

And I thought the Wadia was a stupid price at $400! And what a pain in the wallet!

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #25 of 28
I do have a laptop... but I don't want to have to use it because its pants, basically! 

I think i might order the Matrix cube and hd 650's and listen to them via the headphone out or Rca audio out cable/send station pocket dock/something similar etc. 

If I find I need to get a transport or anything then I can do so in the future or just change my source if needs [funds permitting] be, or use my laptop [last resort]

so does anybody see any problems with this:- iphone>line out of some kind> matrix cube>hd650 ?

Cheers all.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #26 of 28

BUMP!

Can't somebody else help this guy out? 
Anybody got any experience with the Onkyo Dock?

Just my opinion, but the Onkyo Dock and Matrix Cube sound like a very versatile & cost effective solution.
Any one else have an opinion?

BTW.  "it's the pants!".     that phrase is so funny!

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #28 of 28
yo,

I had looked at the NFB-12 along with the NFB-5 but was concerned about the inputs on the NFB-12? I 'll look into the prices if it's on promo, not sure whether it's cheaper in the UK.

You reckon the NFB-12 over the Matrix Cube? 

How would you suggest I get my iphone into an amp? 

All help is appreciated.

Quote:
Heya,

Save your money, this will do more and better.

It's currently on a promotional price.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back