Help needed on home set up.
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mrlazu

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a fairly recent lurker and wanted to say 'hello' before I asked you for some advice.

I've been tittering on the edge of wanting to get some 'good' headphones for a long time. A few years ago I purchased some creative aurvana live headphones to listen via my iphone [this is my primary source of music as it's so portable and to hand as it were]

I have recently upgraded [hopefully] to some AIAIAI TMA-1's as I found them for a really good price and loved the look of them [I know aesthetics shouldn't really matter] plus the majority of my listening time is walking to and from work and walking my dog and I wanted something 'durable' 

So I want to take the next step and have something to listen to music at home rather than using the same headphones all the time.

Why? hopefully to get a better sound [not that theres anything wrong with my tma1s], a more detailed sound, better depth?

So what I think I want is an amp? and some over ear headphones.

Like I said I'm a fairly recent lurker and have been looking at lots of headphone and amp reviews etc. and to be honest i'm more confused than ever.

Budget? hundreds not thousands:)

music. all sorts, electronic, rock, metal, indie.

Source. iphone4 [lossless, 320+ flac] this is another area i'm confused about, I dont have a big house and have got two young kids so space is a premium, my cd collection is currently boxed up and confined to as small an area as possible although recently i found myself not really using them much. I got a naff laptop which I never use and an ipad which the wife has constant need of. Is there anything wrong with using my phone as my main source?

anyways thats probably enough info for now or maybe not :)

if anyone wants to offer an opinion or give me some advice it would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards

mrlazu

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 28

Sounds like a competent portable DAC/amp to suit your iPod is just
what you're after, that way you could move around the house without
having to unplug a full sized headphone amp from the wall socket.

Something like this iBasso

Then there is the matter of a full sized headphone, do you want
a closed back or open headphone? sounds like you need some
sort of isolation.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 28
Hi Gwarmi,

cheers I'll have a look into that amp, I had been looking at the Fiio e7/e9 combo as I ll probably be listening to music in one place most of the time, in the house anyway:) [but didn't think the amp was necessary for my current portable headphones]

No idea on open or closed, I have always fancied getting some Grados, no idea why I just like the idea of them if that makes sense?

I'll also likely be listening in a room on my own so shouldn't have to worry about disturbing anyone or anyone disturbing me.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 28
 With two kids, Gwarmi's right, you'll probably need some closed back cans. I actually can't think of any off the top of my head, maybe some higher end Sonys, or some Ultrasones up in that range?

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 28
Double post.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 28
An opened back would be better for home listening, good mid range (~400 dollars) choices include the HD650/600, Beyerdynamic DT990s, AKG701/702, Audio Technica AD2000s or Grados 325(quite harsh highs, but nice if thats what you look for). All these need a headphone amp to sound their best, but if you have a AV receiver, it does the job pretty well also.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
Hi Gwarmi,

cheers I'll have a look into that amp, I had been looking at the Fiio e7/e9 combo as I ll probably be listening to music in one place most of the time, in the house anyway:) [but didn't think the amp was necessary for my current portable headphones]

No idea on open or closed, I have always fancied getting some Grados, no idea why I just like the idea of them if that makes sense?

I'll also likely be listening in a room on my own so shouldn't have to worry about disturbing anyone or anyone disturbing me.

Ahh Grados, excellent choice 
biggrin.gif

Now I'm taking a guess here but you're over in England? No doubt you've seen the retail prices, frightening
Still, there's nothing quite like them for rock, metal and acoustic ~ I like mine with some electronic genres
too ranging from Brian Eno to Kraftwerk.

The good news is that you won't need a nuclear headphone amplifier to power them, the higher end
models will take advantage of a superb amp but it's a luxury not a need in order to enjoy them.

e7/e9 will also set you up for future cans as the e9 is quite powerful for the money, I find Fiio
gear has a forgiving warm signature so that helps with rough metal recordings and Grados
since they like to sound a little sibilant if the recording is pretty bad.

Go for the Grado that you can afford, can't go wrong, they all share a very common signature
right through to the GS1000i / PS1000i flagships which are substantially different. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 28
Thank you everyone, man my head is spinning now, I've been reading up on all of these suggestions.

My head is telling me to go for something like the senn HD650 as it seems so middle of the road [kinda] boring but practical and would probably sound fine with any music that I listen to.

My heart is more tempted by the grado 325i as they seem a little more risky [marmitey, almost] I have found them for £279.99 [b stock].

I would really like to have a listen to them all before i make a rather pricey decision though, it's just finding some where local that sells them.

More research needed methinks :) really must try and get some work done today!

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 28
If you want to buy Grados and don't mind going without warranty, and if you can find someone from the US to ship them to you, you'll save 40-50% off MSRP.  I'm sure someone here can point you towards a reliable seller should you want to go that route.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
Thank you everyone, man my head is spinning now, I've been reading up on all of these suggestions.

My head is telling me to go for something like the senn HD650 as it seems so middle of the road [kinda] boring but practical and would probably sound fine with any music that I listen to.

My heart is more tempted by the grado 325i as they seem a little more risky [marmitey, almost] I have found them for £279.99 [b stock].

I would really like to have a listen to them all before i make a rather pricey decision though, it's just finding some where local that sells them.

More research needed methinks :) really must try and get some work done today!

Bit of a drive from Dorset,

But these guys are in West Sussex

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/contact_us.php

Both the HD650 and Grado 325i await thee..

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 28
Cheers all, 

I can't go to sleep at night without images of headphones popping into my head, I had thought my search may be narrowing but it would appear not.

In regards to amps, I haven't done quite as much research as the headphones, I don't want them disturbing my sleep ATM. Still tempted by the E7 E9 combo as it seems like the easy option. I did look into the I Basso and matrix cube, but only very briefly:)

Still tempted by the HD 650 mainly as so many peeps seem to own it, concerned that it may be too dark though?

tempted by the Denon AHD2000 and still comtemplating the Grados. Cheer for the link Gwarmi, getting there may be a bit of hassle though [ a lame excuse as compared to you its a mere jaunt to the local shop :)]

Another question though, I seem to be tempted by an 'open headphone' although I have no real idea why? whats the difference between open and closed? [I will do a search on this ASAP, I just can't believe how much time I've been spending on the Head-fi forums recently.....must get back to work!!]

Still so much research to do on the beyers, fischers, and hifimans and the AKG and.... 

oh and one more thing, am I, a budding inexperienced audiophile, really going to be disappointed by any of the headphones i've been looking at? I mean what sort of a scale in differences are we talking about here and would i even notice if the headphone  i end up choosing is 'slighty dark or bright or lacking bass'??????

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Cheers all, 

I can't go to sleep at night without images of headphones popping into my head, I had thought my search may be narrowing but it would appear not.

In regards to amps, I haven't done quite as much research as the headphones, I don't want them disturbing my sleep ATM. Still tempted by the E7 E9 combo as it seems like the easy option. I did look into the I Basso and matrix cube, but only very briefly:)

Still tempted by the HD 650 mainly as so many peeps seem to own it, concerned that it may be too dark though?

tempted by the Denon AHD2000 and still comtemplating the Grados. Cheer for the link Gwarmi, getting there may be a bit of hassle though [ a lame excuse as compared to you its a mere jaunt to the local shop :)]

Another question though, I seem to be tempted by an 'open headphone' although I have no real idea why? whats the difference between open and closed? [I will do a search on this ASAP, I just can't believe how much time I've been spending on the Head-fi forums recently.....must get back to work!!]

Still so much research to do on the beyers, fischers, and hifimans and the AKG and.... 

oh and one more thing, am I, a budding inexperienced audiophile, really going to be disappointed by any of the headphones i've been looking at? I mean what sort of a scale in differences are we talking about here and would i even notice if the headphone  i end up choosing is 'slighty dark or bright or lacking bass'??????

Open generally sacrifices isolation for better overall sound quality. You will usually get an airier, more detailed sound. Closed is *generally* a little worse, more closed in, but provides more isolation and less sound leakage.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 28

Hi Mr L,

I am in a similar situation as you.............looking for some new headphones in that price range.
I have an iBasso D12, it's a nice sounding piece of kit, but it WILL NOT take a digital output from my iPod or iPad.
I usually use the iBasso D12 with my HP Notebook, the headphone jack on the HP notebook is a bit naff (I think that is an English expression meaning bad?)
The iBasso with the HP notebook sounds quite good, but only if I use the USB connection.
I tried a pair of Sennheiser HD650, Beyer DT880, Beyer DT990 and a few Grados (225, 325 and RS2) a few weekends ago at acople of shops.
In my opinion, the Sennehisers were too dark for my taste and clamped on my head too much.
I thought the Grados were reasonably comfortable (some people find them uncomfortable) but be aware they are very bright and have a very distinct sound which I found was very attractive.
For very neutral and very, very comfortable I would go with the Beyer DT880s.
I have AKG Q701 which are somewhere between neutral and bright; I think they are comfortable, but some folks find them to be rather uncomfortable.

Guess which pair I will buy when I get a few quid in my pockets?
In closing, I would suggest trying headphones on before you buy to ensure you find them comfortable.
And I guarantee you will easily hear the difference between these various phones,
Sennheisers and Grados are like night and day.

Cheers, C. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 28
Hi Mr J,

I would love to be able to try some headphones on and test them out etc. There just isn't any where locally that I can do this, I know for a purchase like this I should try and make the effort.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the HD650's and just need to decide on an amp/DAC for around £200 any suggestions?

Cheers for all your comments and suggestions.

Quote:

Hi Mr L,

I am in a similar situation as you.............looking for some new headphones in that price range.
I have an iBasso D12, it's a nice sounding piece of kit, but it WILL NOT take a digital output from my iPod or iPad.
I usually use the iBasso D12 with my HP Notebook, the headphone jack on the HP notebook is a bit naff (I think that is an English expression meaning bad?)
The iBasso with the HP notebook sounds quite good, but only if I use the USB connection.
I tried a pair of Sennheiser HD650, Beyer DT880, Beyer DT990 and a few Grados (225, 325 and RS2) a few weekends ago at acople of shops.
In my opinion, the Sennehisers were too dark for my taste and clamped on my head too much.
I thought the Grados were reasonably comfortable (some people find them uncomfortable) but be aware they are very bright and have a very distinct sound which I found was very attractive.
For very neutral and very, very comfortable I would go with the Beyer DT880s.
I have AKG Q701 which are somewhere between neutral and bright; I think they are comfortable, but some folks find them to be rather uncomfortable.

Guess which pair I will buy when I get a few quid in my pockets?
In closing, I would suggest trying headphones on before you buy to ensure you find them comfortable.
And I guarantee you will easily hear the difference between these various phones,
Sennheisers and Grados are like night and day.

Cheers, C. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back