Help needed on cmoy components
Jun 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ls206

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been scanning the forums recently for an easy project to start me off in the world of diy audio.

I've found this easy to follow guide for the cmoy - but I'm having trouble finding the right components and would like to be sure I'm getting the right stuff!

Could I ask a massive favour - if someone could check the parts I've found are correct, and to help me find the ones I'm unsure of or can't find?

C1 - 220uF 25v edited with different capacitor.
C2 - Does this look like the ticket?
RLED - Need a hand here, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.
R1 - 4.7Kohm 1/4W
R2 - 100Kohm/1Mohm (??) 1/4W
R3 - 1Kohm 1/4W resistor with gain 11, again, don't know what to look for with regards to "gain"
R4 - 10Kohm 1/4W
OPA - Op-Amp I actually have an Lm4562NA would this work? (and be better?)
D1 - am I being a bit dim? is this any old LED?
IN - 3.5mm jack socket
OUT - 1/4" jack socket
Board - Is this ok?

Still needed - Switch and volume control, oh and battery connector.
switches, lotta choice
Volume controls, need a little help here
battery connector

Is that all I will need? (except enclosure)
I hope this post isn't too long or tedious.
Thank you for reading and for any help you give, it is much appreciated!

Louis.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Welcome to headfi! I'm sure theres someone better qualified to answer, but everything looks fine to me.

RLED is used to limit the current to the LED so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. here
Gain is a attribute of the amplifier. With a higher gain, you will achieve a higher volume by only turning the knob a little. Since resistors are so cheap, you could get 2 different values to see which one works best for your headphones.
I'm no expert, but the lm4562 has the same pin assignments and workable voltage ratings, so I think it would work, but I wouldn't trust myself on that.
The protoboard you picked looks like a stripboard, meaning the copper traces follow from end to end. I'm sure you could re-arrange the components to work with the board, but if it were me, I'd just get a 'island' type breadboard, and make solder bridges.
Also, theres a DIY section here, which may be a more fitting environment for this topic.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi, thanks for the welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

also for the suggestions and pointers

I can't believe I didn't post this in the DIY section!...sorry..

EDIT: I've opened this thread in the appropriate section
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/buy...7/#post4331819
Sorry for any trouble - if a mod could close/delete this
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back