help needed on choosing b/w sony xba-1 & soundmagic pl-50
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bhavneesh

New Head-Fier
hello to all.. i am new to head-fi and also to earphones. i am not a good judge of audio.. but i am trying to learn now. actually i have never heard to BA earphones ever.. the best i have heard till now is klipsch image s4i in-ear-canalphones which seems very different from these as i read the reviews and other threads. i like bass but am not actually a bass-head. i listen to music and even use earphones to watch movies and seasons on my pc. i would like the sound to be rich/lush with a sense of life and with a good bass too and which i can hear without any fatigue. but not boomy and neither sibilant which my earlier low-quality earphones sound like. i dont know about soundstage as i havent heard it.. but i think i would like it as i have read many reviews and posts about it.. please suggest the better one out of the two.. thanks! and yes about the budget.. i am keeping it low as it will be the 1st time for me to actually hear a good earphone and that too with a BA.. about the options i have .. i only have these two available around my town which fall in my budget but i am open to other options as well. i live in india, so that limits the options and even the opportunity to actually hear any of these earphones before buying . thank you!

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
hello to all.. i am new to head-fi and also to earphones. i am not a good judge of audio.. but i am trying to learn now. actually i have never heard to BA earphones ever.. the best i have heard till now is klipsch image s4i in-ear-canalphones which seems very different from these as i read the reviews and other threads. i like bass but am not actually a bass-head. i listen to music and even use earphones to watch movies and seasons on my pc. i would like the sound to be rich/lush with a sense of life and with a good bass too and which i can hear without any fatigue. but not boomy and neither sibilant which my earlier low-quality earphones sound like. i dont know about soundstage as i havent heard it.. but i think i would like it as i have read many reviews and posts about it.. please suggest the better one out of the two.. thanks! and yes about the budget.. i am keeping it low as it will be the 1st time for me to actually hear a good earphone and that too with a BA.. about the options i have .. i only have these two available around my town which fall in my budget but i am open to other options as well. i live in india, so that limits the options and even the opportunity to actually hear any of these earphones before buying . thank you!

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

Anyways, something rich/lush with good bass, not boomy or sibilant, "soundstage" (maybe :D) - would have to say that neither would really fit those criteria. The closest would be the XBA-1s in a sense as they are slightly warm, but for the most part these aren't the lushest or thickest of note. In fact in order to get these attributes on a BA, at for that price (assuming your price bracket is around the street price of these two), you'll probably have more luck with dynamic drivers like the Brainwavz M2 or otherwise.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

Anyways, something rich/lush with good bass, not boomy or sibilant, "soundstage" (maybe :D) - would have to say that neither would really fit those criteria. The closest would be the XBA-1s in a sense as they are slightly warm, but for the most part these aren't the lushest or thickest of note. In fact in order to get these attributes on a BA, at for that price (assuming your price bracket is around the street price of these two), you'll probably have more luck with dynamic drivers like the Brainwavz M2 or otherwise.

thanks.. and i will post at the thread u mentioned from now on.. and as i said i want to start listening to ba earphones..  yes i like bass but i also care about everything else other than bass.. thats why i am just keeping my  options and budget limited.. anyways thanks for the reply.. i would definitely listen to them if i get a chance and then decide..
about those two.. which one will have better quality bass [not the quantity which i guess is less being a ba] ?
                          which will be the least sibilant [i knw the xba-1 is quite good but just comparing]
and which will sound more natural to me?i knw its kind of subjective but i dont knw the technical term for that..

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
thanks.. and i will post at the thread u mentioned from now on.. and as i said i want to start listening to ba earphones..  yes i like bass but i also care about everything else other than bass.. thats why i am just keeping my  options and budget limited.. anyways thanks for the reply.. i would definitely listen to them if i get a chance and then decide..
about those two.. which one will have better quality bass [not the quantity which i guess is less being a ba] ?
                          which will be the least sibilant [i knw the xba-1 is quite good but just comparing]
and which will sound more natural to me?i knw its kind of subjective but i dont knw the technical term for that..

Personally that would go to the Soundmagics even though the Sonys are immensely balanced. Assuming natural means warmer (generalizing of course - it is rather subjective as you had mentioned)

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 9
How much do Vsonic GR06 cost in India? 
wink_face.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 9
@twinqy thnks.. i listened to xba-1 today.. i liked them although i found the bass quantity low but i can go with that.. but couldnt get a chance to hear the pl50.. anyway.. and yes i did my research on the brainwavz you said earlier and one thing i can say is that i can get the brainwavz m5 at minimal price like for 35$ .. so i dn knw anymore

@laowai i dnt knw about gr06 as its not available at any online site in india.. the gr07 is the only vsonic available on the indian ebay for19k INR which amounts to about 350 dollars

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
@twinqy thnks.. i listened to xba-1 today.. i liked them although i found the bass quantity low but i can go with that.. but couldnt get a chance to hear the pl50.. anyway.. and yes i did my research on the brainwavz you said earlier and one thing i can say is that i can get the brainwavz m5 at minimal price like for 35$ .. so i dn knw anymore

I understand about the wanting to try out BA stuff, so if this isn't a singular investment sort of deal, would keep away from the rather boomy M5

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I understand about the wanting to try out BA stuff, so if this isn't a singular investment sort of deal, would keep away from the rather boomy M5

yeah i thought bout it too.. so i think ill get the xba-1 but if theres a great price difference b/w it and pl50.. ill go with the cheaper one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back