Help needed - looking for a small IEM with specific requirements
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been out of the game for a while when it comes to universal IEMs. I normally only listen to customs (due to fit issues with most universals), though I do try to spend time with big releases like the HiFiMAN RE2000 just to gauge performance levels. But for normal listening, it's custom or nothing these days, so I'm fairly out of the loop.

So I need a bit of help here.

My wife has very small ears. I mean, tiny. 99% of the IEMs she has tried just won't fit. Anything from mainstream brands like Audio Technica, Sony, Westone or Shure, don't work. Any earbud style won't fit either. Even the old HiFiMAN RE400, which is quite small for my big ears, sticks out in a weird way. We also discovered that the Etymotic and Klipsch models with deep insertion will technically fit, but won't stay very well, and aren't comfortable at all.

We tried dozens and the only possibly matches were little models like the old Q-Jays and UE700. But they didn't stay very well during active use, which is the whole point for her. Sennheiser IE8 and related models are ok but she needs over-the-ear cable routing, and their little add-on piece for that is terrible.

We eventually discovered that the RHA MA750 works pretty well for her ears. It's the round body and nice earhooks that work together - not even the smallest IEM, but certainly smallish, and it seems to do the job better than anything else. She has almost zero volume in the concha area so even the excellent/small RHA T20 is a no go.

Basically looking for something similar to the MA750, because those won't be around forever. The only thing I can think of is the Dita Answer which is quite similar to MA750 but with an angled nozzle. But it doesn't have integrated earhooks, and frankly is too expensive for her intended use.

What else should I be looking at? Remember, none of the "universal" versions of CIEMs will work (even the small ones like the old Noble prior to switching to metal bodies). But there must be other stuff out there...

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion. Those really are quite small! Unfortunately they don't have an over-the-ear style cable, which is somewhat necessary for her (very active) use. I'm tempted to try them anyway though.

I notice AAW also has the Nebula models which look nearly identical to the Dita (and therefore not too far off the MA750). Unfortunately they have an inline remote....

Which brings me to another requirement - no inline mic/remote. Those just flop around when you job and become annoying.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 9
check MAXROCK sleep headphone, its fully made out of rubber, the main benefit is its body flexibility and bend-ability (and very bad quality cable).

its not behind ear wearing and does have Mic built to left ear cable, but its so cheap and perform admirable for the price.

for me i use it for sleeping, as you can sleep on your sides without any issue,

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Why don't buy her a custom version. :wink:

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 9
I think the ie800 was made for her. Its really the smallest iem i can think of. Hell even the nozzel is like 2mm in depth.
Dealing with the issues:
1. Microphonics
-wear them over the ear(im 1.8m tall and the wires are just long enough to keep phone in pockets)
2. Peaky treble
-for some magical reason the silicon eartips from mee audio work like a charm but they fall of often
-buy the ie800s instead
3. Isolation
-the mee audio tips isolate well but u really need to find one that fits your ear. Comparing against say a fully sealed iem with not vents, the isolation on these are quite subpar.
-up the volume so bass response can balance the peaky treble(no bass with poor isolation)
Plus point: these bad boys survived a wash in the washing machine, so yea they are suited for active users.
Good luck :)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have to reiterate that an over-the-ear system is mandatory - there must be either some sort of memory wire or pre-molded loop, or it just won't work. IE800 for example, would probably be great for stationary listening.... but if you wrap them over the ear, they won't stay during active use.

Why don't buy her a custom version. :wink:

I keep suggesting it but she is scared of the process, despite having seen me do my own impressions many times. I'm not sure which models would even work though - might have to be a dual or triple driver model at most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back