Help needed in picking up a Solid State Amp
Feb 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sree

Head-Fier
I am utterly confused as to what solid state amp to buy to drive my K701's and Denon AH-D7000's. I am currently using a HeadRoom Ultra Micro amp and they sound good but I feel that things could be a bit better. I have heard that Heed CanAmp has wonderful synergy with K701's. Sadly I could not audition a piece and decide for myself. I however have heard Grace M901's and wanted to buy the M902's for how quite they are and how wonderful and warm they make music feel. In one of the other threads, someone suggested that perhaps Gilmore lite or the better GS-1. Now I have too many options and as is the case when there are too many options, really confused.

I'd greatly appreciate the help to help me choose the one amp for my headphones. Should I go for Grace M902, that way I will not think how a high end amp would have sounded or just go for CanAmp for their synergy with K70i's, or just get GS-1 and be happy I went mid-way on both counts.

Thanks

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Never heard the Headroom amps or Grace amp, but I've heard the Audio-GD C2C and C2 and I must say they do an excellent job of driving them. The C2C and C2 have more than enough power to drive them and are affordable.

Of course I could go and Recommend the Audio-GD Ron, but that is over double it's price so nah. But If you are interested in knowing more about the Roc let me know.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 8
looks like your budget is high enough to aim for high end solid state. Have a Active ground B22 made by rockhopper or ybmaudio and be done with it.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 8
i think i remember that the higher end meier amps have active ground too...

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Honestly, I'd be surprised if the M902 sounded better than the GS-1. I'd like to listen to one sometime.

I absolutely think you should upgrade your source before you upgrade your amp. The cost/sound of your source should inform your amp purchase. As far as amplification goes, I tend to favor the "wire with gain" approach myself. Color should be added from the source and headphones, if at all. Keep your HeadRoom amp for now (I hear they're quite good), and experiment with sources until you find something you like. Then upgrade your amp.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 8
thanks all for your recommendations.

@jh4db536
I understand that B22 is fantastic. I have heard that with K1000's and was blown away. I may get them sometime later when I have great source but now I am looking for something mid-way.

@Zombie_X
Thanks for your suggestion. I will read about them a bit and get in touch with you for more information.

@Valens7
I am planning to upgrade my source. Problem is that I cannot construct a big system here and then have trouble while moving back to India. I am planning to build my system back home but it is hard to get good Headphone Amps back there as it is still pretty ordinary market there. I left all my CD's back home too as it is too much to carry around. That is why I am more interested in Amps as of now. I have heard Grace and they are very good but have not heard Benchmark or GS-1. Thanks for your feedback.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 8
The most versatile device among the ones you mentioned is the Grace m902. I think you will at least have more fun connecting your computer as source to the Grace, in addition to using the amp in the Grace.

Frankly, I think your UltraMicro is already too nice for the iPod so I wouldn't spend more JUST for the iPod.. maybe that's just me.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 8
if you're gonna drop 1000 on headgear equipment, you might as well do it right and do it once
smily_headphones1.gif

~1grand is way too much to settle for halfway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back