Help needed in choosing a Turntable.
Aug 23, 2015 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

voxie

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, Hope you all can guide me... I am in the market for a turntable. The last time i owned one was about 30 years ago!! It was magnetic driven as opposed to belt driven I know and appreciate that the following is a very subjective question.... Can anyone help me in choosing one, my budget is around 300 Euro. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Ye i know. Tried other treads but no replies. 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 12
An AT maybe??...http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/turntables/turntables.pl?lang=eng
The US site, I know, but should be able to find one if you fancy one of them.

AT Europe has 3 listed...http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/subcategory.asp?catID=9&subID=42

Or some of the other big names have their models like Denon, Pioneer, Teac, Onkyo etc.

I have no experience either but you should find reviews on the web that may help.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 12
How about an old Technics? (Direct Drive) or maybe an old Thorens? having had both the things are tanks...i wish i still had my Thorens, my cousin lost it (along with my Sony 2 track Reel 2 Reel  :frowning2: ) I bought an newer Audio Technica and returned it in 2 weeks thing was a piece of **** I resurrected (couldnt find the AC plug) and currently have a Technics SL DD 22 (direct drive) and it is still going strong after almost 30 yrs, that said i am looking twds another Thorens...mabye,  best of luck..

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for your reply Purefp. Very funny and informative. Yep, will look into the Technics. Approaching my 50th, wife say's your just going a mid life crisis when you want to purchase a turntable. "ye hun, that happened when i turned 40"  

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 12
  Thanks for your reply Purefp. Very funny and informative. Yep, will look into the Technics. Approaching my 50th, wife say's your just going a mid life crisis when you want to purchase a turntable. "ye hun, that happened when i turned 40"  

No doubt, I was looking for a new TT when i returned the AT and an old friend of mine who is a well known DJ was like just get an old Technics or get a power cord for your old one, they are built to last and are easily serviced, same goes for the older Thorens, they just built them things so solid...

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Cool info! True they don't make them like they used too!!

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 12
I think you can find some decent values if you look for some classic tables on ebay.  Some can be pretty beat up though and prices that some people are asking can be a bit unreasonable.  That being said, you may wish to aks yourself, what cartridge will I use, what phono preamp, what amplification and of course th speakers.  Get something that fits in.  Lots of folks have decent enough speakers and amp, but lack a good phone preamp.

Turntables I have owned over the years that you should not pay over $350 for include: Conrad Johnson Sonographe and Thorens TD-160.  Going down market but still nice stuff Dual CS-1219, CS-504 and the like.  And some I haven't owned that were decentback in teh day include A/R, Empire, and Lenco.  

Of the new offerings I think I would put the Project on my short list.  Never was a big fan of Rega although it has many fans.  And Linn is just expensive.  Lastly there were some decent Technics and Luxman tables but not sure of the model numbers.  I tended to stay with belt drives back in the day.  Another one that was decent but had some touch switches that would go out are the Philips 312 tables.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back