[Help Needed] Full-Size Headphones for HT (movies) & Music ~ up to $300, expect no dedicated amp
Aug 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 23

I'm not trying to challenge (since I'm not that knowledgeable), but they're 35ohm and 92.5dB, isn't that really easy to drive?

This was a big part of the reason I was considering the HE-400 initially.

Sensitivity usually translates into power requirement, but not always. The HD600, for example, is rather high impedance at 300 ohm, and yet you can drive them to more than sufficient volume using an iPod (although power/dynamics suffer a bit).
Anyways, as cel4145 said, if you have a stereo or HT receiver to plug them into, the HE-400 will get more than enough power. Vintage receivers are especially powerful. If you're plugging straight into your TV, the sound will probably be quite weak.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 23
Well, I went ahead and ordered the HE-400.  I'll post back my thoughts once I get them.

What pushed me there is the discounted price, the existence of a return policy, and the difficulty in trying to find any of the other sets mentioned.
  1. The SoundMagic brand seems non-existant in Canada (retail).  I couldn't seem to find anything outside of Amazon and eBay.
  2. The B&W P7 was hard to find in my budget range.
  3. The Denon AH-D600 (recommended by another person) is available at places like BB / FS but would like to hear them before purchasing or have return ability (which BB / FS don't offer).
  4. The Philips Fidelio X1 (also recommended by another user) was found largely above my budget.  Also apparently non-existent in Canada.
  5. I didn't bother trying to get the ATH-M50 since these other headsets are all supposed to be better (to my knowledge).
  6. I came across a special on the Koss ProDJ100 ($45), Sony ZX600 ($50),  and a pair of Monoprice headphones but skipped them all since I already took a bet on $50 headphones (Superlux HD-681 EVO) and wasn't happy.  Trying to accept the fact that I'm not going to find $300 performance at the $50 range.

RazorDog also has the BeyerDynamics DT880 which I think I also heard I should look at at some point (e.g. I could exchange without penalty if I'm not happy with the HE-400).

This is such a bittersweet search because I want to like the HE-400 once I get them, but then it means I have to buy another pair (for the wife) and essentially wasted my purchased on the Superlux set I bought (2 for $100).  If I don't like the HE-400, then I get (most of) my money back but have to either settle on the Superlux or continue the search.  Lousy hobby.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #19 of 23
  Just wanted to point out that Bloor Bay Radio in Toronto has a great selection of headphones available for listening before you buy, including the Denon D600.

Thanks for reminding me.  I think I had read that in another thread.

I actually went by Metro Sound & Music yesterday because of a similar suggestion but they didn't have anything out that you could listen to (I think there was 1 headphone model, which wasn't one I was looking for, and it was behind a counter)

Good to know BBR has the Denon at the very least.  Thanks.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 23
  Thanks for reminding me.  I think I had read that in another thread.

I actually went by Metro Sound & Music yesterday because of a similar suggestion but they didn't have anything out that you could listen to (I think there was 1 headphone model, which wasn't one I was looking for, and it was behind a counter)

Good to know BBR has the Denon at the very least.  Thanks.

Yeah I've been to Metro Sound & Music and it was rather awkward - all the headphones are on a wall behind the counter and in packaging. With Bloor Bay Radio there's a wall you can just walk up to and listen, or ask for other ones. There's a good sampling of headphones available for listening at Long & McQuade too, although it's generally limited to "professional" use headphones for DJ or monitoring (Beyer, Shure, Pioneer) rather than consumer brands (Denon, B&W).

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #21 of 23
So I just came back from Bay Bloor Radio and got to check out a few headphones.

I was able to try the B&W P7, and while they were OK, they still weren't what I was looking for (if I was going to spend that much money).  I also tried the Sennheiser HD598 (about same opinion, though different sound).  I wanted to try the PSB headphones but didn't see any around (I may have missed it).  The Sony MDR1 wasn't bad at all but what I really came away impressed by was the NAD VISO HP50.  I'm not good at articulating sound in words, but the bass was very nice and present while detail could still be heard very clearly.  Reviews seem very favourable of them.

I only happened to try them on by chance, but I really liked their sound.  It was pretty much what I was looking for.  The only downside I had (from my short listening session) was the fact that it came with leather earpads only.  How do I find out if I can swap them out with velour pads from another brand / source?

More importantly, does anyone know where these are sold in the GTA or online?  They were $20 off ATM ($280) but would like some additional stores for the sake of price comparison.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #22 of 23
Just thought I'd give an update.

I got the HE-400 in the mail and tested them out.  First impression was mixed for me as some material didn't seem to shine on these headphones.  The most significant was any songs that had cymbals in them.  They just sounded strange, like they weren't able to reproduce what a cymbal is supposed to sound like.  Almost too harsh, like the effect sibilance has on "s" sounds.
(I'm not saying these headphones have sibilance)

On the other hand, they are very detailed as most other people have pointed out.  Jazz recordings sounded especially nice as there was a very nice separation of instruments and level of detail not usually present on other headphones (minus the cymbal issue).

Bass was a concern but it wasn't lacking.  Its hard to describe, but because they're an open design, there's a very "airy" and spacious nature to their sound.  Its not bad per say, just different than what you may be accustomed to with closed or semi-closed headphones.

Compared to the Superlux, they're head and shoulders above (naturally) and I especially liked the fact that I could crank the volume right up and not have any discomfort.  Something I couldn't say about the Superlux.

Thinking I was very confident in liking the NAD VISO HP50 over the HE-400, I went to the store with both headphones to do a quick comparison and walked away with a dilemma that sounds like a recurring theme in our community.  I did like the NAD better for comfort and look, but the HE-400 have an amount of detail that's missing on the NAD.

I ended up deciding on the NAD but only because the goal is for me and my wife to use these headphones at the same time (and using different sets would produce different volume levels).  While comfort and weight weren't on my list of "needs", the HE-400 do really push the envelope for what's reasonable.  They're just on the cusp of being a little too imposing.

tl;dr
If you're in Canada, getting an open-box HE-400 from Razordog Audio is a great deal
(mine was $249+$30 s/h which came to $307 after conversion to CDN).

For the NAD VISO HP50, I found them at Bay Bloor Radio for $280 and also on Headphone Bar for online.

Thanks again to all the help from the community, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back