help needed from my fellow head fi'ers
Feb 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jweather

New Head-Fier
I am looking for good sound from my portable, I currently have a 1st gen i touch, 3rd gen nano and a 5th gen ipod video. I currently pair them with triple.fi 10's or super.fi 5 pro's. The sound is OK but I want a little more and was wondering what you guys would suggest, I dont know much about amps but I could probably spending 150 or less on one, but I still need it to be somewhat portable. Im aslo not ruling out another player but the problem with another player is that I have so many movies ripped for my ipod and I cannot find a player so far that will play them and I dont want to convert them because my wife use them on her ipod as well. I would aslo be willing to trade my super.fi 5 pro's for a good amp (ill post that in the trade thread). I also heard that the 5th gen ipod video was one on the best sounding ipods, but do I need imod to accomplish or will using the LOD be good enough? the HP out is not really that good. Does anyone know if the zune will play ipod ripped video? any help would be appreciated guys.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 5
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a nice jump in SQ from where you are. There are a number of good amps that are not too expensive and are pretty low profile. You will need a line out dock which will work across all three of your DAPs. You can then keep your players and enjoy much improved SQ.

Are there DAPs with better built-in amps/headphone out? Most certainly. But with the earphones you are using - especially the triple.fi - the better the source signal the better they will sound. Feeding a line out signal through a good amp will reap greater sonic rewards. That's why I love my iMod > self-built line out dock > Pico has been by far my fav portable solution and has been with me for some time now. I have no intent on replacing the combination either.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a nice jump in SQ from where you are. There are a number of good amps that are not too expensive and are pretty low profile. You will need a line out dock which will work across all three of your DAPs. You can then keep your players and enjoy much improved SQ.

Are there DAPs with better built-in amps/headphone out? Most certainly. But with the earphones you are using - especially the triple.fi - the better the source signal the better they will sound. Feeding a line out signal through a good amp will reap greater sonic rewards. That's why I love my iMod > self-built line out dock > Pico has been by far my fav portable solution and has been with me for some time now. I have no intent on replacing the combination either.

Thanks for the reply, Can you recommend a low profile enxpensive amp? self built LOD? is that easy to do? thanks again

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply, Can you recommend a low profile enxpensive amp? self built LOD? is that easy to do? thanks again

A self built LOD is a bit hard to do...but it depends if you have experience with soldering SMTs since the pads for the dock are pretty small. If you buy a LOD, it will work for all your iPods. Only iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPhone 3g require different docks. For amps, it's better to search around the amp forum. Names to get you started are offerings from iBasso, Meier Audio, Practical Devices. But check out the amp forum, there are too many choices available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back