Help needed for new headphones
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ruben123

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
Essentially I'm looking for headphones that sound like my speaker system (Jamo 704, if you know it, probably not). What ever music I listen to, if I close my eyes, I could picture the music happening in front of me. You could almost touch the mids. Its sickening how real they sound. Very musical, never piercing highs, a bit low on bass but no problem for me. Of all earphones I have, I think the Monoprice 8320 sound most alike.

Few years ago I bought the Sennheiser hd598 for the reviews I read. I don't find it neutral at all, it's quite the opposite of my speakers. Vocals are dark and far away with the music up front. Highs are muffled. Yes it is relaxing sound, but I never listen to more than an hour to headphones so fatigue is not really a problem. I doubted they were fake or broken, but they sound much like my Sennheiser hd439. It just sounds like the music is happening in the other room.

So what am I looking for? I listen to all sorts of music, but particularly Boh Dylan, Dire Straits, other 80's, and classical. Bob's shrill voice is totally softened by the hd598 but o so raw on my speakers and Monoprices. I really miss some higher midrange and treble.

Budget is $50-100 but I buy used nonetheless.

Earphones I have and like
Monoprice 8320 (bit piercing sometimes, mids little thin)
Havi B3 Pro1 (love them)
Vsonic XE800 (bit too v-shaped, voices a bit thin)

I thought about EQ'ing my Senns, and that might be the best option. I also read about the Koss 75. At that price its worth trying. Pair of 7Hz Zero (1) are coming and I really consider the Hifiman RE400 (should sound like my beloved Havis). Might be worth to go to a music store to listen to different headphones and from that work further. I don't know of any stores though but there should be.

Any ideas?

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Try listening to the grado SR80
They fit your budget but grado are different

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 5
If you replace the Sennheiser foam in the cups with something less dense, it will lift the Sennheiser veil. I've had almost 300 different headphones and IEMs for my business and have a choice of everything. My daily drivers are the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 OEM and Hifiman HE5XX for headphones comfort. Can't go wrong with either. The Zero:2 for $24 replaced all my other IEMs.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 5
In the $50 to $100 used range. I recommend trying.

Senn HD58X. No amp necessary
Philips SHP9500. No amp necessary
Hifiman HE400i. Amp recommended
Senn 6XX may be your best option, if you can find one in that price range and have an amplifier that can drive them.

The HE400i and 6XX are great headphones for the money, if you have some amplification to drive them with. Good luck with your search 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back