Help needed : ety er-6i filters?
Mar 4, 2006 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dakota

Head-Fier
Hi, i have mentioned this in another thread so i spologise if you have already read this. I figured i would get a more direct response with a new dedicated thread. Anyway the left channel on my er-6i is current distorted and at a very low volume. I think this is due to the filter.
Does anyone know of a way to remove/clean the filter without making it useless. (since the filter removal tool punches a hole in them making them useless)

Any help would be aprreciated.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 11
I have been able to use my nails or a sharp edge (knive) to remove the filters. Then you may want to soak them in lukewarm water with some liquid soap overnight. Next day rinse them well, and soak in clean luke warm water for a couple of hours. Then let airdry at least overnight. Yes tedious but it could save you some money.

Personally the key is to keep your ears clean and periodically clean the tri-flange or foamies. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 11
My filter popped out as I was taking off the foamies
eek.gif

Based on that, I'm guessing it should be fairly easy to remove.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 11
thanks for tht, but can u direct me some more how to remove the filters? i dont see wer to pull the filters from? Where should i put the knife in to remove them?

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 11
no worries, i got them out with my nails! and the good news. without the filter in the sound is back! Now i think i will follow your advice and clean the filter. Thanks for your help again. Still im glad they temporarily broke since it encouraged me to order some e4cs lol. look out for these er-6i's up for sale soon lol.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have been able to use my nails or a sharp edge (knive) to remove the filters. Then you may want to soak them in lukewarm water with some liquid soap overnight. Next day rinse them well, and soak in clean luke warm water for a couple of hours. Then let airdry at least overnight. Yes tedious but it could save you some money.

Apologies for the triple post.. but i really need to extend my thanks to mrarroyo. I took the filter out as you suggested, left it in lukewarm fairy water for about 4 hours. Transfered into clean lukewarm water for another 3 hours. Left to dry overnight as you suggested. Woke up this morning replaced the filter and guess what.....

Smooth detailed sounds of the ety er-6i
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It was about time i did something about my earphones since ive heard nothin back from etymotic in like 5 days. Well im extremely pleased and if anyone else has a muffled channel on the etys i suggest you try this. Thanks again,
Dakota

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 11
yeh lol, i realise it would have been easier to get some new filters, but at like 15 pound to get them to the UK, and my e4s on the way, seem kinda pointless. Im lookin to sell my etys, not sure wther to use the for sale section here or just stick with ebay? What you think?

How much am i lookin at in the UK for a pair of relatively new er-6i's? They were replaced just 2 months ago. Wonder if the warranty gets renewed with the replacement?
Thoughts?

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
My filter popped out as I was taking off the foamies
eek.gif

Based on that, I'm guessing it should be fairly easy to remove.

Happened to me once, this is when I realized it's real easy to take them out with just my fingernail.
etysmile.gif
Never tried to clean them though... I just clean out my ears real well before each use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back