Help needed: Connecting a 220V power supply to a Headroom "Little"
Jan 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

legoman

100+ Head-Fier
When I was living in the US I had bought a Headroom Little. Now that I am in Europe I wanted to convert it to 220V. I thought this should be quite easy as there is a cheapy-looking external power supply. I thought I could just clip the cables and reconnect it to an off-the-shelf regulated 12V power supply.

Unfortunately when I disconnected the 110V PSU I found that there are 3 wires coming out of the PSU and into the amplifier (2 x "-" and 1 x "+"). Does this mean I can still connect a regular 12V power supply (connecting the 3 cables to the 2 outputs) or do I need to put some circuitry/parts in the middle? (The 110V PSU consisted of 2 electrolyte capacitor, 1 transistor and 1 transformer).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Legoman

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was living in the US I had bought a Headroom Little. ......I thought I could just clip the cables and reconnect it to an off-the-shelf regulated 12V power supply.

Unfortunately when I disconnected the 110V PSU I found that there are 3 wires coming out of the PSU and into the amplifier (2 x "-" and 1 x "+"). ....

Legoman

It is two rails PSU. +15V, G, -15V for Headroom Little.

I don't own Headroom Little in the past, but base on my experience with Hearroom 2005 and 2006 Electronic modules, please be very careful when you put more than 15V to each rail, you can blow up the capacitors on the module board as its voltage rating could be only 16V.

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the answer. My Little is from 2001 or so and on the PSU module it says +/-12V @150mA so I may only put on 12V and see if that is enough. Now I just need to figure out which of the wires is the ground and I will be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back