Help Needed - CDP or recable?
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nick20

Banned
Hey guy's I'm not so sure on this one, and I'm having second thoughts about having my AKG 701's recabled.

Soo.. since I recently upgraded my CDP from (junk) to what I have now, I wonder which would be worth upgrading, and would benefit me the most?

Either APureSound recable, or a used high-end CDP like the following:

Phillips SACD-1000 (#1 choice)

Rega Planet 2000 (middle mounted, not side, and not the EVEN older version; see link)

Music Hall 25.2

Of course, all of these being used.. I have never heard a "good" source before, however I use/own quite a few MFSL versions, and an even better amount of very early release issues. So for the most part, the quality of music certainly isn't lacking. However, I am not like most believers that "high-end" always means better, and when do I (we) draw the line at where to stop?

If your asking, $500 is the absolute most I can and ever will afford for any CDP. I may upgrade in the upcoming years, but of course to something near my budget. I personally cannot afford anything costing more.

What's really bothering me, is how much better is a decent "high-end" source supposed to sound to an above average AIO player? Would you say a night/day difference is likely? Or more likely just certain parts in the music that these other CDP's will excel at? I'm trying to get a better understanding of justifying the "higher" price of these items.

Thanks for your help...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 9
Don't worry about a recable. The K701 w/ stock cable scales all the way up to the $3K Ayre CX-7e so you're not even close to reaching its scaling potential as-is.

If I were you I'd get the Music Hall CD25.2. I'd personally like to hear one, it's gotten some positive reviews and it should be fairly musical sounding. It'd be a great budget CDP for a budget system.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about a recable. The K701 w/ stock cable scales all the way up to the $3K Ayre CX-7e so you're not even close to reaching its scaling potential as-is.

If I were you I'd get the Music Hall CD25.2. I'd personally like to hear one, it's gotten some positive reviews and it should be fairly musical sounding. It'd be a great budget CDP for a budget system.

Thanks Asr for your comments. This is stretching my budget none-the-least. I originally never planned on going over $300, but I'm hoping at more of a "sweet spot" at $500, I'll have a few more options, hopefully with further improved performance.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 9
It looks like the Phillips SACD1000 is a dangerous bargain. From a brief Google search, I gather that they have a high failure rate and cannot be repaired. This is especially unfortunate given their apparently outstanding performance and value pricing. I would have picked the SACD1000 out of your selection, but cannot recommend it because of its reliability issues.

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the Phillips SACD1000 is a dangerous bargain. From a brief Google search, I gather that they have a high failure rate and cannot be repaired. This is especially unfortunate given their apparently outstanding performance and value pricing. I would have picked the SACD1000 out of your selection, but cannot recommend it because of its reliability issues.

Thanks. I'm reading the same thing now. I actually had a few review links open, for when I woke up in the morning to read, but we lost power during the night, and the computer restarted.

Up to the top for any more suggestions...

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I haven't heard them, but the budget Marantz players seem to be getting very favorable reviews. Also, the NAD C542 and Cambridge Audio Azur 740C would be in your price range, used.

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard them, but the budget Marantz players seem to be getting very favorable reviews. Also, the NAD C542 and Cambridge Audio Azur 740C would be in your price range, used.

I am eyeing the NAD, and have also found a Marantz 8400 CDP within my price range.

EDIT: Is the MH 25.2 worth $75 more over the NAD C542?

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Somebody asked the same question about the Music Hall and NAD here:

Music Hall 25.2 vs NAD542

It looks like a bunch of people end up modding the Music Hall player - Reference Audio Mods and Underwood Hifi appear to be the most popular modders. I haven't seen the same interest in professionally modding the NAD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back