Help needed building a dock
May 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dutch-Guy

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm trying to build my own dock for my iPod Classic, but I'd like some help with the electronics.
I'm going to get RCA output, that won't be a problem.
The thing that's going to be difficult is the female 30 pin connector I want to add so while my iPod is plugged in, I could plug in a cable from my Pc and sync music or maybe charge it.

The idea is that my iPod will be connected with the male connector on top of the dock. And on the side there will be a female connector, but just for syncing and charging. Now I did find a site with a pin out for the male connector, but not for the female connector.
So my main question is:
  • Is the thing I want possible, because I know in some tutorials they say you need a 68k resistor, but that's just for iPhone and iTouch. 

If you need more info, just aks and I will supply.

TIA!

EDIT:

Scratch the photo, I looked at the pinout at this site: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

And as of now the pins I think I need are; 2, 3, 4, 16, 18, 23, 25 & 27. Could anyone conform that those are the pins I need for audio output, data transferring and charging the battery?

May 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 12
That one does have the outputs

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] Enjoy[/size]
[size=small] Connect the dock to a stereo or speakers using a stereo audio cable to play music from your iPod or iPhone--handy for stereos that have a basic composite (RCA) connection. If you have an iPhone or iPod that plays video, you can enjoy photos or video on your TV by picking up an Apple component/composite AV cable. Entertainment on the big screen.[/size]

There is another one that exists that doesn't, though.

May 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Here is a dock extension using 30pin cables...
http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2007/02/ipod_dock_extender.html

BUT this is a the best dock...

biggrin.gif

May 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Heya,

2 is Audio Ground
3 is R Line Out
4 is L Line Out

16 is USB Ground
18 is 3.3v power output used to charge battery with proper resistors.
23 is USB Power (+5)
25 is USB Data -
27 is USB Data +

Pin 18 and the USB pins will control charging as well as USB operation.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml
USB Data (+)[size=0.95em][/size]
Pins 25 and 27 may be used in different manner.

[size=0.95em]To charge an iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4 / iPod Touch, 2nd gen, 3rd, 4th or Ipod Classic (6th Gen), usb data- (25) should be at 2.8v, usb data+(27) should be at 2.0v. This can be done with a few simple resistors: 33k to +5v (23) and 22k to gnd(16) to obtain 2v and 33k to +5v and 47k to gnd to obtain 2.8v. This is a notification to the iphone that it is connected to the external charger and may drain amps from the usb.[/size]

[size=0.95em]To charge iPod Nano[/size] pins 25 and 27 should be tied together and then connected to a 10K ohm resistor, and the other side of this resistors then needs to be connected to 5v power.

It's also possible to charge the iPod's or iPhone's battery to make use the of internal +3.3v output (18) terminal to connect the USB Data + (27) thru a 47k ohms resistor and the USB Data- (25) thru a 47k resistor to the USB Power source +5v (23).  This way the USB function is still useable for normal operations and makes it easier the fit in a plug. The resistors are not to critical 2x 150k's still work.

Added correction: iPod 2.1A charger advertises 2.8V on D+ and 2.0V on D-.  Tying either wire to 5V could damage the target - use resistors tied to 5.1V and ground to be safe.

Very best,
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Heya,

2 is Audio Ground
3 is R Line Out
4 is L Line Out

16 is USB Ground
18 is 3.3v power output used to charge battery with proper resistors.
23 is USB Power (+5)
25 is USB Data -
27 is USB Data +

Pin 18 and the USB pins will control charging as well as USB operation.

Very best,
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much, I'm going to start soldering right away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back