Help Needed! Best cans with ipod?
Apr 30, 2005 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ljs

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I currently own a ipod and just broke my portapro and I would like to seriously upgrade my gear.
After a quick look, I think I have 2 options:

-Ety E6i: cheap, optimised for ipod and light (I travel a lot so I need a pair of cans that wont let me down and which doesnt take to much space)

-grado ??? (from 60 to 325) : looks good, great reviews but aren't they a little big? can I put them around my neck without to much suffering
basshead.gif

Is the ipod powerful enough to drive them to an optimal level?

or maybe you have a third option and I would like to ear it
smily_headphones1.gif

My budget is 200$ (I leave in France so the €/$ things helps a lot) plus shipping.
The etys are really cheap even with shipping fees.
The grado are NOT and the shipping fees are insane... but I think I would prefer headphones to canal ears.

Ps: feel free to make me offer through PM if you think I might be intrested
smily_headphones1.gif

Ps:

Apr 30, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 21
the main question for me is:
how will it sound?
is the ipod powerful enough to spare me the necessity of a portable amp?
is there a significant difference between the MS1 and the MS2?

thx

Apr 30, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 21
Grado/Alessandro cans are low impedance cans, and can thus be driven by an iPod easily, without the need of an amp. There is a big difference between the MS-1 and the MS-2 (and even more with the MS-2i) just as there is a difference between the SR125 and the SR325 (and even more with the 325i). However, an amp will still make a very pleasant change.

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 21
many thanks for your insights.
Just wondering, how big is the difference betweenn the MS2 and the Ms2i?
And what portable amp could drive my setup?

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljs
many thanks for your insights.
Just wondering, how big is the difference betweenn the MS2 and the Ms2i?

slight to non existant, depending who you ask..

edit: the alessandro ms1/2 will improve with an amp, but not nearly as much as other brands like sennheiser hd580/600/650. that is to say that they're very listenable without a dedicated amp and only benefit relatively slightly. depending on your source and budget this may really be a low priority (ie- given a choice of ms1 + amp or ms2 with no amp, i'd take ms2)

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 21
I own an Ipod, ER-6is and MS1's. The ER-6i's can sound a little bright and doesn't have much bass out of the ipod, but it's still an enjoyable combo, and I love it for travelling. Ipod + MS1 sound just right IMHO. Based on sound alone I would definately reccomend the MS1 for use with an Ipod, but if you are looking for a portable phone, look elseware. Grados/Allesandros would be a pain in the ass to carry around with its thick cord and no isolation at all

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljs

I use a homemade cmoy to drive my SR-80s out of my ipod and I love it.

As for portability, well, Grados aren't the best for that.

You might consider the Sennheiser HD 25-1, which I think have a Grado-esque sound and which are nicely portable. The HD 25-1 also can be driven straight out of the ipod.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 21
thank you all
smily_headphones1.gif

a few more questions:

Simon
Quote:

but if you are looking for a portable phone, look elseware.

Could you give me more details on this point?
Can I move freely with a pair of MS1 sticked on my head or is it realy unbearable?
I dont care about the thickness of the cable but the absence of isolation is a key point.

I dont know if I could stand in-ear headphones and I have read on a review that the etys are not very resistant and I may break them very very quickly...

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 21
PM Darwin022 on reliability concerns with Etys. He is a friend of mine and is hands down the most equipment abusive person I know (save maybe myself). He has a set of ER4p Etys and I don't believe has any problems, but would certainly have some insights as to whether they need special attention to last or if they are deceptively tough.

Apr 30, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 21
the ms1 should be alright walking around but i wouldn't want to run with them. it really depends on what you want in terms of portability. do you need any isolation?

i also think that they sound great out of an ipod and with the senn414 pads, they sound even better. the ms2 are definitely a step above of the ms1 but they might be out of your price range unless you can find an older pair of ms2. i also think that the difference between the ms2 and ms2i is very very slight. you should be able to find a pair of ms2 for somewhere around $200.

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 21
For the isolation:
I just need to be able to listen to my ipod in the metro without earing my noisy neighbours but I also want to ear the car that is going to hit me ^^;
I dont know if I made myself clear
plainface.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 21
bump ^^
more insights wanted !

Apr 30, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljs
For the isolation:
I just need to be able to listen to my ipod in the metro without earing my noisy neighbours but I also want to ear the car that is going to hit me ^^;
I dont know if I made myself clear
plainface.gif

For that the Grados are out cause they do tend to leak sound a lot and in a noisy enviroment like in the Metro.

You might want to look at the Senn PX200 as it isloates much better than the Grados. Although IMHO, you are better off with canalphones cause they seal off the external noise, allowing you to enjoy your music better.

Another good choice would be the Shure e3c. When buying either the Ety 6i or the Shure e3c, try buying from a retailer who allow refund. There are many people who either dislike or cannot tolerate canalphones.

May 1, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 21
if you plan to walk around with the cans, then I wouldn't recommend grado/alessandro. honestly, i'd look into getting another pair of those portapros lol. or even get the ear clips like the KSC-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back