Help needed: amp/DAC suggestions with weird price limitations
Apr 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pekirt

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

First time user here, so hi. :) I just bought my first set of audiophile cans: a Sennheiser HD650. I'm listening to music off my computer (I will have to reencode most of my musicfrom my CDs to flac!) so I need a decent DAC and an amp. I know that there are many, many reviews and suggestions, but this request has a minor twist.

You see, I'm living in Turkey, and my choices at the low end of the budget are nonexistent. Mid-to high end stuff costs roughly twice as much in here due to some tax laws that don't fall too short of highway robbery (*). So I'll either have to order something from abroad, or make do with what's available.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but jazz and classical (with emphasis on smaller ensembles and early music) would benefit the most from my listening habits with this headphone. I don't usually sit down to listen to most of the other stuff.

Now to my questions:

1) Can you recommend a portable headphone amp at or under $120 that I can have shipped to Turkey? (See below for the reason for this price limit)
2) Can you recommend a USB DAC at or under $120?
3) Can you recommend an amp+DAC combination under $300? (I'll end up paying $500 at the least for it... See below.)

or...

4) Should I just buy an e-mu 0404 usb and an ARTHeadAmp V for a total of ~$500? Or just buy the e-mu? Would it be enough to drive my 300 ohm HD650's?

Read below if you wish to feel my tax pain...

(*) There's an 18% VAT,  TIMES (not plus!) 20% special consumer tax--essentially a luxury item tax--, TIMES import taxes (IIRC, it was 13%) , PLUS shipping fees. So, a $1000 item would cost me $1600 plus shipping plus all the import paperwork.

By some miracle, I ended up paying ~$500 for my headphones (you can buy them here for ~$1000 normally). I'd rather not pay more than that amount for the amp+dac combination--I'm new to this, after all. Moreover, if each individual item I buy is under EUR100 (~$120), I only pay the VAT and not the rest, so that's an important limit to consider.

Alternatively, I could just buy an external sound card such as EMU 404 or M-Audio sound card. They are locally available. For example, an M-AUDIO MobilePre USB II would set me back ~$210, whereas I could find the E-Mu for less than ~$350. As for headphone amps, there are many studio amps (the ones to which you connect 4-5 headphones for monitoring purposes), starting at the $100 price level ( amps like ART HeadAmp IV). Most commonly available low-end amp seems to be ART HeadAmp V, for $180.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, for at least having read through this! :)

Baris

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 4
The FiiO E7/E9 combo would probably suit you very well. You get very powerful amplification and a good USB DAC for ~$200, and it's pretty compact. It's almost certainly available in Turkey or from nearby, so shipping shouldn't be a huge problem. There are a number of reviews around. I have heard the pairing at a meet and enjoyed it a lot.

The situation with the taxes sucks, I hope you can come through with a rig that you'll fully enjoy.

And finally, a warm welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to Head-Fi! I also have to agree of the FiiO, since its one of the best amp for your price range. Once you have a bit more money saved up, think about companies like RSA, HeadAmp, and Meier for portable amps.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for the kind welcomes and suggestions. :)

The E7-E9 combo looks (and reads) very good, and that's probably what I will do. :)

HeadAmp is a brand that's available locally, but only with their studio monitoring equipment. Maybe I can find something locally that might suit my needs and budget... I think Meier's are also sold here. I'll look into it.

>> Sorry about your wallet.

Yeah, me too. :S

EDIT: Nope, HeadAmp is not locally available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back