help! need to replace silk screen on grado's
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gasstronamicle

New Head-Fier
well, my grado's developed the "grattle" that seems to be somewhat common. i tried to remove the driver from the back (using the methods on headwize, using both the screw driver method, and filling the bumps) but it didnt work, and the plastic was starting to stress. i then thought of another way of removing the hair.... removing the silk screen on the grado's and taking the hair out like that. it worked, i removed the hair, everything seems better (cant hear a grattle.....) however! i now need a new replacment silk screen. i tried using some silk i found around the house but two things occur.
1- it dampens the sound alot! it is noticeably less loud than my other channel
2- the silk i tried seems to vibrate.... which makes it hard to test if my method did actually work.....

can any one suggest what to do? im sure some one here over the years must have replaced the silk screen.

for clarity... by silk screen i mean the whitish screen on the front of the drivers that is used to prevent hairs from going into transducer.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 14
The grado people are pretty reasonable. Call them in Brooklyn, New York.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Why not just use it without the silk screen? IME hair will probably get in there again in a few months.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just use it without the silk screen? IME hair will probably get in there again in a few months.

well, i dont know how you guys managed to blow and suck hair out.... but my hair wouldnt come out..... and since i couldnt open the headphones enough to remove the driver, i cant easily take out hair again.... the whole procedure of me taking out hair took about 4 hours, and another 3 hours or so when i tried to open the transducer.

unless you know a way i can remove hair easier, id rather not have that happen again for a long, long long time.

thnx satellite, i was thinking of just stoping by their place and asking for a silk screen. going to wait a day or two before i do that since id rather do it myself.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gasstronamicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thnx satellite, i was thinking of just stoping by their place and asking for a silk screen. going to wait a day or two before i do that since id rather do it myself.

If you do, can you ask for an additional pair of screens for me? That is if you don't mind putting them in an envelope and sending them here (refunded, ofc).

I recently restored a pair of very beat-up SR-80 and had to remove the screens. The best replacement I could find was a thin gauze-like cloth which is acoustically transparent, but loses the nice effect of being able to see the holes underneath, and looks different from the original one.

A Russian hfier (sorry, can't remember your name) suggested to use the thin paper used to make teabags. I did not try it but it might work in the absence of an original replacement.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do, can you ask for an additional pair of screens for me? That is if you don't mind putting them in an envelope and sending them here (refunded, ofc).

I recently restored a pair of very beat-up SR-80 and had to remove the screens. The best replacement I could find was a thin gauze-like cloth which is acoustically transparent, but loses the nice effect of being able to see the holes underneath, and looks different from the original one.

A Russian hfier (sorry, can't remember your name) suggested to use the thin paper used to make teabags. I did not try it but it might work in the absence of an original replacement.

id be happy to pick up some extra's! no refund shall be needed. unless you want something other than usps mail....

perhaps i should ask for a bundle and that way when headfi'ers need them i can just mail some out?

also, did any one ever manage to remove the transducer from the housing? id still like to be able to do that so i can spend less time removing hairs.

one thing i tried, that works... kinda is the cloth from speaker grills. it does change the sound a bit though, not in a bad way but im noticing a slight difference. this slight difference could just be from me not being able to remove a small hair. i really wish i could open these babies up.

edit- i noticed your in italy. sorry for me assuming you were in america... i'll check out costs but i think i should be able to cover it myself. no fancy features though like tracking, or signiture confirmation though
tongue.gif
but its just a piece of cloth and imo is a little ridiculous having all those features for something that costs less than the add on cost.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gasstronamicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit- i noticed your in italy. sorry for me assuming you were in america... i'll check out costs but i think i should be able to cover it myself. no fancy features though like tracking, or signiture confirmation though
tongue.gif
but its just a piece of cloth and imo is a little ridiculous having all those features for something that costs less than the add on cost.

Yes I'm in Italy, that's why it seems reasonable for me to pay shipping costs.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for a suitable replacement material, my thin gauze works pretty well (no sound changes that I can discern), so if you are unable to get the original stuff I can send you some. The only problem is you lose the nice effect of seeing the driver holes through the screen.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd just run both drivers without screens, honestly. If you're moderately careful with them, it will never be a problem, and the "grattle" originates from hair stuck between the driver and the screen. No screen, no grattle.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 14
@ sherwood. when i was removing hairs, it was between the metal front opening (the front ressonance chamber). a decently long piece of hair was there, making it impossible to suck it out.

sorry if im unclear.... you know the metal spaggetti filter like thing that sits underneath the white cloth? the hair was under that, lying flat. so it was going pretty much vertically along the whole driver.

@ ludoo. hopefully you sending wont be neccessary. ill go and email grado latter tonight and ask them if i can pick some up. :) it should be fine i think.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 14
I always thought the preferred replacement material for those screens was pantyhose. I don't know how well it works, since I haven't used it before, but I plan to on my K340s.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 14
Ah, well then, that was one serious hair. I've only had the grattle once on my SR-60s, and the old "suck it out" method served me very well.

Come to think of it, that's what brought me to head-fi...

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, well then, that was one serious hair. I've only had the grattle once on my SR-60s, and the old "suck it out" method served me very well.

Come to think of it, that's what brought me to head-fi...

im sure the sucking method works, but for me it sucked (pun intended!) it did nothing but waste a looooong time. perhaps it would work better on smaller ones? hopefully i wont ever find out
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back