Help - Need speakers for desktop
Jun 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jarrsquare

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm jarr and I'm currently looking for 2.1 speakers ^^

I am currently living in the Philippines, so it would be really hard to find some brands and I don't like ordering online. However, I can also purchase the speakers in Taiwan. ^^

My budget is $200 ± $50, but I hope to stay on or below $200 as much as possible. 

I have a sound card in my desktop already. It is the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D. 

I don't have an amp yet, but I plan to purchase a Fiio E11 for my headphones (AKG K550). 

The desktop speakers MUST be equal to or less than 9.5" (Height) and 7.5" (Width) because I will be placing them on a shelf. 
I will mainly use the speakers for music (most of the time), movies and gaming. I mainly listen to electronic music and I'm a bit of a basshead. So a subwoofer might be required (if needed).

Source for the music will be MP3 @ 320kbps and FLAC. ^^

I've been reading and searching around and I'm very confused by the sheer amount of speakers available. @_@
Before recommending the Dayton/Lepia combo, I've tried searching for them already and found nothing. And the Dayton speakers are too large for my shelf. 
The Audioengine A2 is available here for around $170 (discounted price), but I'm not sure if I should go with it. 

Thanks in advance!!! ^^

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 7
If space is such a premium, I would advise against getting a subwoofer. However, being a basshead, you will find that speakers in the size you desire will have a tough time producing the low end that your prefer. Also, purchasing a quality subwoofer will likely cause you to exceed your established budget.

Judging from the provided criteria, I think the Audioengine A2 deal you spoke of may be the best for you. Active monitors will help conserve space while providing a decent balance of quality sound and the low end that you desire. The JBL LSR305 studio monitors hold a special place in my heart and are only $120 Amazon (USA).

Should you seek an alternative, you can see if the Micca CB3 speakers are available. You will have to purchase a separate amplifier in order to power these however, as the Fiio E11 is a headphone amplifier, not a speaker amplifier. 

As I said earlier, active studio monitors will likely be your best bet, as they do not require a separate amplifier and are often very compact and are high quality. They do tend to be more expensive, but audio as a hobby is expensive. There is no end to the journey, so don't be afraid to take your time and do your research to find the product that best fits you.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 7
If space is such a premium, I would advise against getting a subwoofer. However, being a basshead, you will find that speakers in the size you desire will have a tough time producing the low end that your prefer. Also, purchasing a quality subwoofer will likely cause you to exceed your established budget.

I disagree with your first sentence, but I agree with the rest :)

Small driver speakers are best paired with subwoofers tend to have poor low end bass extension. Indeed, tiny speakers need a sub for midbass. So find a way to make room for a sub, if you can afford it.

See if the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are available to you. The speakers are small enough that they should (check) fit your requirements, and then the sub will help to fill out the midbass and give you some bass extension below that.

Another brand that is often recommended here is Edifier. See if they are available to you :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your replies!!! ^^
I'm going to clear out the shelf soon, so I'll have more space for the speakers, but their height should still be 9.5" max. As for the subwoofer, I think I can place it under the desk. Would that affect the sound quality? What if I place it behind the monitor?

I'm going to try searching for the Klipsch sometime next week ^^

Btw, is an amp required? Because if it is, I'll have to start saving money ^^

Thanks again~~

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks cel4145! 
I checked out the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they stopped selling them in Taiwan. The people said that if I really want them, I'd have to order them from USA. It's kinda sad because I actually liked them a lot :frowning2:
Then I checked out the JBL LSR305 and boy, they're not $120 in PH and Taiwan xD
In Taiwan, it sells for around $620 and in the PH they sell for $700 xDDDD
From $120 to $620, even worse than the R9 290X xDDDDDD

Edifier is available here for very cheap! I can get one and still have money left for other stuff!! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back