Help! Need Recommendation for Denon AH-D1100 Replacement
Nov 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spacebear

New Head-Fier
So, I had 3 or 4 pairs of these headpones over last 5 years and they keep breaking (not the drivers, just the outside). I love the sound on these though, just love it. I tried few other ones, but always come back to these. BUT! I am tired of them breaking... So, my question is what I should try instead and I'd rather not do too many returns to amazon or whatever.
So my requirements are:
1. Sound similar to AH-D1100 (better is good too)
2. Good bass, I do listen to a lot of hip hop and EDM, but also enjoy indie, metal and punk.
3. Foldable, I take public transit daily, so bulky stuff would not work. I also like listening to music while in transit.
4. Simple and comfortable.
5. Under $400.
6. iPhone mic support is a plus.

I mostly use my iPhone to play music, if that helps.

Any suggestions? I searched around, but a lot of suggestion are from 2006 and earlier, so I am hoping for some more modern suggestions. I am an audio noob, but I do love good sound.

Thank you!

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Right now my preferred headphones for outside the home is the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9.
The ATH-ESW9A uses difference wood, but I'm guessing it's otherwise the same (matching audio quality).
Not great for block outside noise, but I'm guessing the AH-D1100 were not any better at blocking noise either.
keep an eye on eBay for used.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 8
  Also, so far i am really liking AKG 551 (550 + mic). Does anyone know how does the bass stack there vs 1100?

The K550 has nice sound, it's a clear bass, but not a lot of feeling to it.
where I'm sure yout AH-D1100 was more of a basshead headphone.
I believe the K545s offer more bass, then the K550s.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Vmoda M-100 or Beats Studio 2013 are both good bassy headphones, better than the Denons IMO. Out of those two i prefer the Beats, i like the look, sound more detailed to me, and are much more comfortable for me and have better noise isolation(important for you). M-100 trumps it in build quality and soundstage. Both are good upgrades to the 1100

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys! I wish there was an easy way to try all of these. How do you guys do it? Buy and return?

Also, I read before that Beats are made by the same people as Monster cables and largely kinda of crappy products with good marketing. I read before that Beats sound so bassy because of EQ being applied, where 1100 just sound bassy on their own. I don't know if any of this is true though :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back