Help, need portable headphones...
Aug 1, 2005 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guvnor

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones.

Sound quality is obviously very important, but I also need the headphones to be portable, sealed, easy to drive and comfortable.

I have listened to a Grado SR-60 before and own a Sennheiser HD-570. The obvious problems with the 570 is that it leaks a huge amount of sound and it's pretty difficult to drive. I'm also looking for at least decent isolation, but wouldn't go for active noise canceling.

Some that I've been looking at closely are:

Etymotic ER6
Shure E2C
Sennheiser PX200

For the ER6 and E2C, I'm worried about the bass. I don't expect them to be as 'full' as open-air, but I definitely want a noticeable improvent over my current Sennheiser MX400. Are these really worth the price?

I have heard from some that the bass of the PX200 is also bad, especially compared to the similar PX100. I'm not really considering the PX100 cuz they're open.

I don't expect the bass to blast my brain out of my nostrils, but I do want it to be definitely present and warm/full.

I also don't want full-sized sealed cans like the HD-280 or BeyerDynamics.

If you have experience with the headphones I mentioned or have another to recommend, I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Price range is about $200 and under. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 9
You could try AKG K26P, they're only $40. Similar in size to the PX200, although they fold up differently. Isolation is very good, getting them adjusted takes a little getting used to but they're very comfortable once adjusted. Bass is nice, not too boomy, they are all-around good phones for $40. They are definitely easy to drive, I use them with an ipod and never have volume above ~40% in a noisy environment.

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Yah, second that AKG K26P recommendation.

Forget the ER6 (needs amp to even sound remotely bassy)
PX-200 isn't worth their price IMO
E2C sounds very muddy to me....bassy but muddy.

Also consider Senn HD25SP

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 9
thanks for all the suggestions - the AKG K26P seems to really fit my needs(at a great price), so that's on the top of the list for now.

However, could anyone direct me towards where they sell the K26P? I'm located in Canada, so a Canadian dealer or a dealer that ships internationally would be great. I didn't find a single one of these on eBay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back