[Help] Need help diagnosing (and fixing) issue with AD700
Apr 6, 2015 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

v1ndictiv3

New Head-Fier
Hey there.

A while ago the sound from the right driver of my AD700's completely cut out. It wasn't until recently that I decided to try and fix them but I've run into some issues: I cut off the old jack and re-soldered the wires onto a new one and I'm getting sound from both drivers, however I get almost no vocals from the right. The right predominantly plays instruments and background music and the vocals it does play sounds very faint and hollow. Also, I believe the volume coming from the right driver is lower than the left. I tried opening up the headphones to check connections and from everything I can see no soldering points have come undone and there doesn't seem to be any points where a wire might be touching another causing a short. I decided to play around with the wire connections to the aux jack and noticed that if I touched the left cable to its prong along with the ground, both drivers play at equal volume and there's no distortion to sound at all... I just then lose my stereo imaging. This leads me to believe the issue is with the cable somewhere and not the driver. I'm considering re-cabling them with this: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html. I'd like to know if anyone has any input or any further tests I can do to make sure it's not a driver issues (so i don't waste time and money on cabling). Also, if I did decide to re-cable should I change the wires that connect the right driver to the left? Any and all suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

C

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 2
I would disconnect what you have already soldered  that should leave a "live " and  an earth connection (screen ) on each . Borrow an AF signal injector  and connect to each cable that goes to your drivers in turn . It should sound  equal on each side at  1 kcs  then try at 5kcs  it still should be the same on each side . What can happen in Stax cables are that they disconnect internally and nothing shows all it takes is a sharp tug . If after testing it still doesnt sound right then there could be a near disconnection in other words one cable is hanging on by a thread. So try the above first.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back