[HELP!] Need comments on HD25
Feb 15, 2004 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

luludaddy

New Head-Fier
Currently I'm out-dooring with an HD212pro plugged to an iPod 3rd gen and I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting form them.

Now the thing is this. I've been offered an used HD25(not sp) at a pretty reasonable price. Well to be honest the price is VERY tempting but would it sound that different with HD25?

I do not carry a portable amp and most of my play lists are Hip-hops and Rapcores. Well mostly I listen to Hip-hops and that's why I got an HD212pro at the first place.

Your comments will help me big time.

luludaddy

PS. You guys will be stunned to hear how much Senns cost here in Korea. It's crazy...

Feb 15, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 13
The HD25s are not as enjoysable to listen to, since they reveal a lot more than what 212Pros are intended to do, Hip-Hop didn't sound very aggressive and bass-heavy anylonger, compared to what it did before (with Beyer DT231 and no-name cheapies), but there is no doubt - you will hear a difference by going the step up.
I'm using mine with an IMP-400 PCDP, and to be honest, I think they reveal too much of the player, especially the background noise and small ticks, blurps and bumps appearing in silent places in music when playing, being it MP3CD or just regular CDs, this for example also makes 128 kbps sound murky and chunky, so for me, it meant 3 GB of music I wouldn't listen to.
About the background noise/hiss, I think it will be less on the IPod, though, so wouldn't worry that much about it.

BTW: How expensive are Senns in Korea ? For how much were the HD25s offered ?

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 13
The official dealer will kill me for doing this but anyhow...

The retail price on HD25s is 473,000 in Korean won, which is about (not kidding) 394 USD. And only God knows why.

The used pair I was offered was 190,000 won (about 160 USD). Can't say it's a great price for a used pair (in the States) but it's less than half the money I should BLEED for a new one here.

luludaddy

PS. Funny thing is Beyers are about the same prices or even CHEAPER here. And again, only God knows why.

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 13
eek.gif
ouch
Hmm, if all headphone brands are overpriced like that (oh, and Grado even more), and you want to upgrade, the HD25 deal is certainly a hard one to refuse. (IMO - as unbiased as possible - I own AKG K401, HD600s and HD25-1 (and lost DT231s during a trip to Vienna)). You can always buy from other countries, but most likely it will be taxed and end up costing at least the same.

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 13
IMHO, if they are in good condition definitely go for them for this price. Why?

pros:
+DURABLE (very important imho)
+closed, excellent isolation
+solid, clear sound (no, these do _not_ lack bass at all), although a bit on the forward/agressive side
+extremely easy to drive

cons:
-if the source sucks they will show you
-strong clamping force might be uncomfortable when they're new (they will adapt or you can stretch them by putting books between them when you don't use them)

That's why the HD25-1's are my no.1 winter-portable-cans. Nothing beats walking around with headphones and warm ears, listening to fine music when it snows.
smily_headphones1.gif

just my .02 euro-cent..
wink.gif

Roland

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Ramtha604, thanks for the information - I am looking at gettng the HD-25 as well. Have you been able to compare it to the Sony v6 or 7506?

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Thnks a lot Ramtha604 and all of you!

As a matter of fact I got the cans yesterday and they've been on my ears for about 5~6 hours now. Ramtha604, everything you said about HD25s seems so true. They are so honest, aggressive, very tan in bass, and of course sound so good! My iPod does't even sweat driving the HD25. I really love my new baby. The only thing I don't like about them is they are not the comfiest cans in the world, which is not really a big deal. (kinda worried about wearing them in the summer tho)
wink.gif

PS. I don't know why my post keeps coming to the head of the whole list everytime someone puts a reply on it. Is it supposed to be that way or I did something wrong? Please somebody teach me.

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 13
E-tronics has the best price on brand new HD25-1's at $145. That is a steal. Here is the link. They show the price after you put them in the cart. They also ship via USPS if you need to use a PO box.

They are sweet aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back