Help | Need a new CD player
Jul 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Shavit

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new CD player to go with my Receiver \ 2 Speaker set-up.
I have a ****ty CD player right now that connects to a monitor 2-way plug red and white banana's.
I'd like some help getting a new player.
My budget is 250$ at the moment. 
Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 28
  Hey guys, I'm looking for a new CD player to go with my Receiver \ 2 Speaker set-up.
I have a ****ty CD player right now that connects to a monitor 2-way plug red and white banana's.

I suspect you mean an RCA connection.

The Onkyo C-7030 is a very nice quality entry level deck.  It can be had for $169 from Abt:

http://www.abt.com/product/64992/Onkyo-C7030.html

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 28

You might consider spending a bit of your $250 budget for a good DAC (Modi with optical input, $100), to go between the CD player and the receiver.
Just find a used CD player on eBay, one with an optical output.
What is this monitor the current CD player is connected to and how does that work with the receiver?

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 28
A Toslink (ie. optical) is the worst sounding consumer digital interphase on record.

So if the OP wanted to run a digital signal out of a CD player, to an external DAC. what interface would you recommend?

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 28
Toslink is a type of S/PDIF
Read up if you like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 28
Toslink is a type of S/PDIF
Read up if you like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

S/PDIF's interphase isn't even similar to toslink, the connectors alone show that, not to mention what's behind them. Wikipedia. Great.

Argue inconsequential technicalities with someone else. As long as the OP knows which route to take, I'm fine. You suggested toslink, the worst available. I'm fine with that, too.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 28
S/PDIF's interphase isn't even similar to toslink, the connectors alone show that, not to mention what's behind them. Wikipedia. Great.
Argue inconsequential technicalities with someone else. As long as the OP knows which route to take, I'm fine. You suggested toslink, the worst available. I'm fine with that, too.

If you think S/PDIF is not optical, what connect do you think S/PDIF is?

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 28

If you can tolerate used gear in good working cond, there are some used Denon CDPs with digital out (for connecting to an external DAC), are available at audio marts for $100-200.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/search.php?keywords=denon+CD

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 28
In the world of audio, optical = toslink. S/PDIF is called either coax or SPIDIF, or sometimes RCA. Learn the lingo.

But if Wikipedia say S/PDIF is both coaxial and optical, and you do not think the work S/PDIF represents both optical and coaxial.
Would is not be better to use the word coaxial, instead of S/PDIF, so a lot of people know more of what exactly what your talking about?
Otherwise those that look up definitions on Wiki and rely on it might be less confused about what your talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back