Help narrowing down headphone choices.
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
I've read around a little bit, but I'm still not sure about which pair of headphones to get.

HD650
AKG701
Grado RS-1 (how much of a difference is there between these and the GS-1000's?)
Alessandro MS-Pro (what's the difference between the Alessandro's and Grado's?)

Denon D5000 (how much of difference is there between these and D2000 and 7000 on either side?)

Any other headphones I should consider? (although this may complicate my already confused state)

I'm looking to listen to vinyl (through a rega P3 at present) and cd's through possibly an rega apollo or maybe a cambridge cdp, also have lossless on the computer although that isn't my main usage I have in mind for the headphones at all)

Also looking to get an amp, but not sure what, I'll decide once I have an understanding of what headphones I'm going to get.

Idealilly I'm looking for a headphone that makes my music sound good, and enjoyable, maybe slightly warm, but I still want a degree of accuracy. I don't want an entirely cold, clinical headphone.
Please Help.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Grados are the kings of vinyl, so far as I know. I mean, vinyl is good with many headphones, because it's vinyl, but Grados seem to perform particularly well in that field.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 7
The only problem with the Grado's is they don't ship internationally, but I'll try and find them second hand if they're really worth it.

What about the Grado's makes you guys recommend them over say the sennheiser hd650's

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Grados can be a hit-or-miss with some people, and from your description of how you would like your headphones to present your music, the HD 650 seems like the ideal choice (also consider the HD 600--some say it's a better all-arounder), especially since you're looking into buying an amp. The 701 and 650 are great headphones to build a system around, but they have different characteristics and your choice of components will differ for each one. Some people say the 701s are cold, clinical, and boring, but I disagree, and I find them to be as enjoyable as my SR60, just in a different way (and with different types of music).

Another option is to purchase 2 headphones; in that case, I would recommend the 600/650 and the MS1 (or MSPro if you're inclined to spend that much). The differences between Alessandros and Grados are that Alessandros sound more neutral and have a toned-down treble--not as "in your face" as Grados, but still have enough of the Grado characteristics to make them great for rock, acoustic, and vinyl. I'm not clear on the differences between the MS1 and MSPro, but I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of information on them by searching around, as you will the other headphones mentioned.

Good luck!

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm leaning towards the Senneheiser's at the moment. I can get them easily and at a good price and it seems a good place to start.
I'm interested in hearing some grado's but their difficult to get and for now I think I should just start.
Will still look into the Alessandro's.
AKG I can get for a good price, but the clinical description some people give them turns me off slightly.

So for home listening you'd say that some open headphones would be better than something closed like the denon's I listed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back