HELP! My XP amp and PK1s are toast!!
Dec 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markopolo

Head-Fier
My beloved work rig just went up in flames when I plugged in the DC adapter (which I've done many times before) while listening to some music. I heard a loud buzzing noise followed by a burning sensation in my ears as the buds quickly heated up. I hurried and unplugged everything and turned off the amp but the damage was already done... I can't get anything now but a faint tinny sound out of either the amp or the buds.

I imagine I'm totally screwed with the PK1s, but is there any hope of resurrecting the amp? I took it apart and looked over the circuit board and there doesn't appear to be anything visually amiss (no scorch marks or whatnot), but there is a faint burnt smell. Very bummed out about this. Any suggestions?

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Man, I really feel for you. I had the same thing happen to my PK3s and my MiniBox E+, but that was because I plugged the amp into the wrong output on my soundcard. I fried the PK3s right away and my MiniBox died after a month or two.

Is there still warranty left on your PK1s? If you bought them from head-direct, Fang might replace them. He's a nice guy.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I got them from HeadRoom last year. I guess I should have been more cautious with the amp, but you would think the recharging circuit would have some sort of built-in fuse to protect your gear. Maybe a faulty/mismatched DC adapter (it came with the amp)? I might just decide to go ampless for a while and try to find some PK2s for a decent price.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Too bad about your system. I don't have the ALO amp, but my PK1's are one of my favourites in my collection and because of work I use them for more than any other. I think I would be out for blood if my amp ever fried them!

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 6
No your amp may not be burnt.I have a micro amp that I purchased recently from a fellow headfier and I accidently plugged it in 220v while the power supply states max. 110v,In about 10 seconds the amp turned off and the power supply smelled burned.I took it to the electrician and he tolde it is fried bit can be repaired.I paid $10 and the power supply is up again and working flawsley.take it to a good electrician and he can repair it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back