Help! My setup has permanently damaged two different pairs of HD600 in the same way.
Oct 24, 2015 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hexalamb

New Head-Fier
I've just had to send in my second pair of HD600 to be repaired. They developed some distortion/crackling in the left driver. This is the same exact issue (same driver and very similar characteristics to the distortion) that the first pair had before I had them replaced. I don't have the exact dates, but I would estimate that each pair was plugged into my setup for 5-6 months before developing this problem. 

My setup has been the same: PC>Schiit Modi>Schiit Asgard 2>HD600

I should note that for the majority of that time the whole setup was left on with the HD600 plugged in. 

I really don't know what is causing the issue. My instinct is it must be the Asgard 2, but Schiit says they doubt that could be the case. I'm considering just buying a new DAC/Amp combo, but I'd like to see if there is any way I can determine which device is to blame. It's difficult to test, since it seems like it was probably the cumulative effect of being plugged in for months.

Any ideas on what to test or what the likely culprit is would be greatly appreciated. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 7
  I've just had to send in my second pair of HD600 to be repaired. They developed some distortion/crackling in the left driver. This is the same exact issue (same driver and very similar characteristics to the distortion) that the first pair had before I had them replaced. I don't have the exact dates, but I would estimate that each pair was plugged into my setup for 5-6 months before developing this problem. 

My setup has been the same: PC>Schiit Modi>Schiit Asgard 2>HD600

I should note that for the majority of that time the whole setup was left on with the HD600 plugged in. 

I really don't know what is causing the issue. My instinct is it must be the Asgard 2, but Schiit says they doubt that could be the case. I'm considering just buying a new DAC/Amp combo, but I'd like to see if there is any way I can determine which device is to blame. It's difficult to test, since it seems like it was probably the cumulative effect of being plugged in for months.

Any ideas on what to test or what the likely culprit is would be greatly appreciated. 

I agree that it's doubtful the Asgard could be the culprit.  It's simply going to amplify whatever signal it's fed.

That's the problem.  Neither the Modi or your PC are trustworthy, especially if you leave them on with the HD600's plugged in.  Any spike or errant electrical pulse from your PC's USB connection is going to pass through, without protection, to the Modi.  From there, any spike is going to be amplified - with power - to feed into your HD600's.

You should probably never leave a headphone plugged in to an audio string that sources an unfiltered USB connection from a PC.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Is there an EQ involved that's boosting the lows?

There's no EQ involved.

I agree that it's doubtful the Asgard could be the culprit.  It's simply going to amplify whatever signal it's fed.

That's the problem.  Neither the Modi or your PC are trustworthy, especially if you leave them on with the HD600's plugged in.  Any spike or errant electrical pulse from your PC's USB connection is going to pass through, without protection, to the Modi.  From there, any spike is going to be amplified - with power - to feed into your HD600's.

You should probably never leave a headphone plugged in to an audio string that sources an unfiltered USB connection from a PC.

Is it a general rule then that you don't want to leave headphones plugged in when you're not using them? 

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Is it a general rule then that you don't want to leave headphones plugged in when you're not using them? 

Not if the power and source (especially the amp) is on, NO.  Just for example, there are things called thunderstorms and lightning that happen at a moment's notice.  You can't be guaranteed that everything will be just fine forever if power is going to the headphones.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Okay, well if I spend 8 hours a day listening to music, this will still result in my headphones getting destroyed. It will just take three times as long. That's still just a year and a half.

There must be something I can do here... something to prevent or diagnose the issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back