Help! My MG Head is a radio!!
Oct 21, 2004 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Tom Henderson

New Head-Fier
I have a new MG Head and I can hear a radio station rather distinctly in the background. in the right channel. I seem to recall a thread about this in the past but was unable to find it.My unit is the latest variant.Help me figure out the problem because I can't stand the music the station plays!
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 19
LOL! Finally, a light breeze of air breakes throught the depressing threads to the right and left. I'm sorry for you, but that was one of funnyest I read here in a while:

Quote:

Help me figure out the problem because I can't stand the music the station plays!

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 19
It just figures - it's never the station you want to listen to!

Try a couple of easy things before you get on the phone to ASL. Try reorienting the amplifier and try a different set of interconnects. If that doesn't do the trick, then you'll probably want to talk to ASL because the problem may be in the innards of the amp.

You know, it could be worse...the station could be playing disco...

-Drew

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Mua ha ha ha ha ha
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Yes indeed...something light and fun at last...

the problem is most likely a ground loop.

Check your wires, interconnects and your wall outlet - does it have a proper ground connector?

Also - keep the "grille" on the amplifier and see if this reduces the problem.

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 19
The effect you are experiencing is commonly referred to as "Radio Moscow". If I were you I'd question that station's taste in music as well...

Click here for more information. Good luck!

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Go to Radio Shack and buy one of these and snap it around your power cord where it enters the chassis.
End of the broadcast
biggrin.gif

very good suggestion, i used something like that to stop interference with one of my guitar cables way back when and it worked like a charm.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Another rip-off? MG head circuit actually based on a transistor radio??? Someone will no doubt post some diagrams to clarify...

I doubt that the MG is based on a "transistor radio" circuit. The explanation is that EVERY p-n junction (diode) is an potential AM detector, and whether or not you get audible AM radio out of your electronics will be determined (largely) by the local field strength of the signal. Thus the "Radio Moscow" name - high-power AM signals can saturate the area near the broadcast tower, turning everything into a receiver.

If the power cord is acting as the antenna, then a ferrite clamp might help. Then again, it might do nothing at all - ferrites are not especially effective at these low frequencies. Try rotating the amp in all three axes and see what happens.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 19
I've always wondered what those things are. That's the same thing that comes with the sony PCDP power adapters right?

Oct 22, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
I've always wondered what those things are. That's the same thing that comes with the sony PCDP power adapters right?

I'm not sure what comes with the PCDP power adapter, but yes, this is the sort of thing you find on the line cord of many switching power supplies and datacomm cables. It greatly increases the common-mode impedance of a conductor pair above 10 MHz or so. Useful for staying on the good side of the FCC.

Oct 22, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
I doubt that the MG is based on a "transistor radio" circuit. The explanation is that EVERY p-n junction (diode) is an potential AM detector, and whether or not you get audible AM radio out of your electronics will be determined (largely) by the local field strength of the signal. Thus the "Radio Moscow" name - high-power AM signals can saturate the area near the broadcast tower, turning everything into a receiver.

If the power cord is acting as the antenna, then a ferrite clamp might help. Then again, it might do nothing at all - ferrites are not especially effective at these low frequencies. Try rotating the amp in all three axes and see what happens.

Erm, I was joking...

With all the accusation of amp designs being ripped-off lately it was my (perhaps lame) attempt at being light-hearted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back