Help! My Grado HF-1 Left Channel stopped working!
Nov 10, 2006 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Multi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been using my HF-1s normally since I got them originally, but suddenly the left channel started to crackle. I put them down for a bit and tried to wiggle the connector and it was fine the first time, but later the left channel just went completely silent. My HD-600s work fine so it has to be the Grados.

I think the orders for the HF-1 were a little more than a year ago, so I was wondering what my options were if I wanted to try to fix it?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyleroni
The same thing happened to my sr80s before I gave them to my brother. To fix it I opened the earcup and resoldered the wires. It was actually really easy.

Hmm, I don't see how I can open the driver easily, and I'm not too handy with a solder iron
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multi
Hmm, I don't see how I can open the driver easily, and I'm not too handy with a solder iron
frown.gif

just drink a bottle of whiskey. that is how my dad used to kill a pig.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 17
The large part of the housing for the driver is hotglued to the smaller one. Just heat it and try to take it apart. It will get loose even without heat if you use a little force. When resoldering DON'T use much heat!! If you heat the pads to long the small wires that connect the pad to the driver at the bottom (not visible) can come loose, if this happen you're out of luck as these are just about impossible to locate and reconnect. This happened to me once when fixing a pair of sr80's. This said don't panic, if you just have the iron on the pad for less then 3-4 secounds at a time this wont happen.

Witch reminds me: If any one have a sr80 driver laying around and want to sell it, pm me.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multi
Hello,

I have been using my HF-1s normally since I got them originally, but suddenly the left channel started to crackle. I put them down for a bit and tried to wiggle the connector and it was fine the first time, but later the left channel just went completely silent. My HD-600s work fine so it has to be the Grados.

I think the orders for the HF-1 were a little more than a year ago, so I was wondering what my options were if I wanted to try to fix it?

Thanks!

limited edition phones..I would opt to send them to Grado, give them a call and get John on the horn. They will be able to fix this appropriately,

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 17
Grado customer service is very impressive. It costed me less than 30 dollars to repair the left driver of my SR225.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 17
agreed. ship em for 6 bucks to grado via usps priority mail - free box from the post office!

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 17
Mine did the same thing right after I got them. I contacted Grado and sent the phones to them. They repaired for free. Overall, I think it took under two weeks.

DO NOT REPAIR YOURSELF

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Please, don't try to fix a pair of limited edition cans yourself unless you know for sure what you're doing!

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 17
This is what they look like opened up.

medium.jpg

Not that I would encourage anyone to work on their own equipment unless they are comfortable doing so. My HF-1s had about a month of warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Well I emailed Grado and they replied:

Quote:

Parts are no longer available for those older headphones.
Sorry.

Regards,
Grado Labs

Am I really just screwed? I emailed again asking if they could repair it, but I'm kind of disappointed that they would reply so tersely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back