Help! My first set!
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brittonal

New Head-Fier
I have been coming here for a while and checking out threads but just registered here a day or so ago. The more I read, the more I think I'm confusing myself and going nuts. I'm trying to find a great pair of headphones for a couple of uses. I don't exactly plan on owning more than one pair unless its needed but I would like to stick to one pair. Im not sure if I want open or closed either. I listen mostly to jam band type music (DMB, Bela Flec) and classical. I will also use them to use them for sitting at the computer and for Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema when I can use my 5.1 late at night.

I have been looking at the AKG 701/702 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. I do need something very comfortable that I can wear for hours on end and I do wear glasses at night when I take out my contacts so I need to a vice clamping my face to death. As far as my budget goes, its around $200-300. I dont really have a place to demo anything either. No where around here does that. Department of health issues.

I do want these to last and I guess I'm looking for an all around headphone unless I need closed for the movies. I plan on using them for those reasons above. Also, I don't plan on amping them though they will be either hooked directly into the computer when I'm using it or the receiver.

Thanks guys!

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 15
As far as comfort goes, I wouldn't go for the K701. The leather headband is really quite uncomfortable. I've heard of people modding the headband for comfort.

As to which to go with based on audio quality, I haven't heard the AD900 (but considered buying it at one time), but I have heard the K701 and I enjoyed the sound quality. Very VERY similar to the DT880 but with a fuller midrange and less bass. One thing that I've read here on the boards is that the AD900 doesn't require an amp, but I will say that the K701 was pretty dead coming out of my sony player (I demo'ed it at a head-fi meet and tried it for S&G).

I'm a beyerdynamic fan, and I think those are the way to go when it comes to comfort. However, the midrange is probably going to be better on either headphone, so you might prefer those.

Hope that helps,

Nylan

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Is there anything else I should be looking at? I just mentioned those 2 as they were ones I have come across on the board during my searches for headphones that may suit my taste.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 15
I usually recommend the Denon AH-D2000, but with classical type music I am unsure as I do not listen to it. Read up on the D2000 (I love mine...) and ask around on the forums as to whether or not they would be ideal to your listening preferences.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittonal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been coming here for a while and checking out threads but just registered here a day or so ago. The more I read, the more I think I'm confusing myself and going nuts. I'm trying to find a great pair of headphones for a couple of uses. I don't exactly plan on owning more than one pair unless its needed but I would like to stick to one pair. Im not sure if I want open or closed either. I listen mostly to jam band type music (DMB, Bela Flec) and classical. I will also use them to use them for sitting at the computer and for Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema when I can use my 5.1 late at night.

you want open

Quote:

I have been looking at the AKG 701/702 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. I do need something very comfortable that I can wear for hours on end and I do wear glasses at night when I take out my contacts so I need to a vice clamping my face to death. As far as my budget goes, its around $200-300. I dont really have a place to demo anything either. No where around here does that. Department of health issues.

i do also wear glasses. Get circum aural not supra ==> no grado's

Quote:

I do want these to last and I guess I'm looking for an all around headphone unless I need closed for the movies. I plan on using them for those reasons above. Also, I don't plan on amping them though they will be either hooked directly into the computer when I'm using it or the receiver.

Thanks guys!

no amp means that you need a easily drivable headphone. That probably means no sennheiser. The hd650 really is notorious for being bad without an amp. The headphone that comes to mind is the MDR-SA3000. Easily drivable extremely accurate... but not everyone likes the sound.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 15
For classical stuff and to the bit more accustic jazz, a pair of HD600 might do very well, although they do require quite a good amp to go along with them, and that might blow your budget quite a bit, considering HD600 alone to be 300$. But the AKG k-701 is at the same price range? - And yeah, the D2000 is better suited for Modern rock / live metal / metal / prog etc, everything EXCEPT classical and jazz, and maybe some symphonic stuff too. But after all, headphones are not one-fits all, and some head-fi god might bash me soon for my lack of knowledge. Other than that, the HD600 and HD650 are extremely comfortable.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 15
I think that really depends on the type of listener - Of course if you wanna be sure that it sounds "right" then yeah, go get referencies. But if you're plain bored with them and don't feel like spending 300$ to buy a new pair, then you are pretty stuck. So well, I'll say try them out first, go with what you like the most - of course thats not very audiophile-like, but probably the most enjoying
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittonal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything else I should be looking at? I just mentioned those 2 as they were ones I have come across on the board during my searches for headphones that may suit my taste.

Actually, for your genres, I think that those two will fit the bill (again, considering I haven't heard the AD900 but have done a lot of research on peoples impressions).

The only way to know is if you take the plunge and order a pair. Try to buy from someplace that has a decent return policy so you can swap if you don't care for them. Otherwise, try to find a head-fi meet in your area and go to demo some gear. You don't always have to bring gear to enjoy a meet.

-Nylan

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think that akg 701/2 or hd 600 can not sound dull its all about your source and your music rips because they are unforgiving !!

True that, but there are just moments where you find music to sound too correct, and it gets boring - and yeah, they really are unforgiving, can't argue with that.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 15
I can't speak for the sound quality of the AD900, but I will say something about the comfort. I used to have the AD700, which are made the same way, and they were quite painful to wear. I have been told it is because my head is rather small.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from them, but I would encourage you to try a pair on first. Sound quality wise I thought the AD700 was nice, so I'm sure the 900 is too.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 15
The AD700s and 900s are extremely comfortable for me. They rest lightly on your head because of the wingtip designs and the huge velour earpads.

So the AKG 701/702 are not as comfortable? How about the DT880s in comparison to the ATs?

I'm also trying to decide between the AKGs and AD900s and perhaps the DT880s. Most important thing to be however is positional audio for pc gaming.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 15
What can you tell me about the DT880s and the DT990s? I saw that they are semi open? What does that mean? How does it different from closed and open? I saw that these were recommended to some other folks with similar tastes and I did get a chance to try on the DT770s, the closed ones and they felt great. It was if they weren't even on my head. I didn't get to hear them though and Im not sure I want closed anyways.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 15
Im a wrong for looking for 1 pair of headphones that will do everything? I want something for movies so I want some decent bass, nothing boomy but specific and tight. A good sound stage that makes me feel like im in front of my 5.1. I also want something thats good with music. Is this asking alot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back