Help my dad pick jogging IEMs
May 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
We just got him a sixth gen iPod (160GB) and he loves it. We put it in his car and he really loves it. But he wants IEMs for jogging. The reason I say for jogging is because I want them to stay in his ears and be comfortable. He listens to a ton of different music but nothing in the metal/industrial area. The closest he gets to heavy is The Rolling Stones and he also likes classical music. He is willing to spend $100 on his IEMs (shipping not included). 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Comfort and staying in his years when he works out is important! :)

May 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 16
You could check out one of the jogging-oriented earbuds from sennheiser, not sure of the model number.

IEMs are a bad choice for jogging since they block out noise, which is actually very bad since you could get hit by a car.  Soundmagic also has some jogging half-in ear style headphones, but I'm not sure how good they sound since there aren't many reviews for them.

May 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah I have talked to him about the safety issue. He's being stubborn. But I still want to get the IEMs for him. He will be using them when he lays on the couch too. But hey thanks for the suggestion bud. :) I will check out Sennheiser. :)

May 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 16
Well, I guess you should just look through the appropriate section in Joker's thread and see if you can find something that fits the bill, preferably something that doesn't isolate much (i.e. not something by etymotic).

May 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 16
Some notes on IEMs and running.  Microphonics can become a pain in the butt...  I don't know if your dad will notice, but it does get annoying.  I run track and can hear a huge thump with every step I take with just about every IEM I've worn.  I actually can't think of a pair that I have had that doesn't do this.

May 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 16
I use the Meelec M6 for jogging. They have practically no microphonics (as they are worn over the ear and have a shirt clip), but they're not the most suitable for classical music..
Plus they're quite a bit under budget (I like them a lot though)

May 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I use the Meelec M6 for jogging. They have practically no microphonics (as they are worn over the ear and have a shirt clip), but they're not the most suitable for classical music..
Plus they're quite a bit under budget (I like them a lot though)

This pair of headphones has the lowest amount of microphonics I've heard in any pair...  I still heard my foot thump, but not as great.  If he want's IEMs that don't thump, I'd have to agree with aajohan with the MEElectronics M6 (M6p if he has an iPhone/iPod).

May 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 16
MEElec M6 worked great for me while jogging, and are now available for less than $30.  They may not be the best choice for classical, though.  Not sure how many recommendations you'll be able to get for a jogging IEM that is used primarily for classical music.

I now use the Sennheiser PMX680, as it is more comfortable to wear and isolates less than a true IEM.  Sound quality of them is once again probably not suited real well for classical music, though.

May 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 16
If he wasn't going to use them laying around on the couch, I would highly recommend the Yurbuds Ironman series earbuds.   The cord seems to be coated in silicone, just like the in ear adapters.  They don't come out or even move a tiny bit!!  I also get no microphonics at all. 

I like the earbuds that come with them.  I think that cable is sweat proof.  I have been toying with the idea of getting something like the PK3 to use with them. 

If your dad decides not to use these for anything other than working out, you really should look into them.  They sell them at local Best Buy stores. 

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 16
If he will spend a little more, I'd really recommend the GR07 for classical, however, they isolate quite a bit and may not be suitable for jogging with.  They have virtually no microphonics, though, and stay put once you put them in.

But again, it's hard to recommend these since they isolate so well.  There are some really nice IEMs by Sennheiser and Yuin out there, however, I have no clue how well they will stay in your ears if you are jogging.  My bet is that they'd fall out pretty easily, but you'd have to ask someone with one of them to double check (swf2cheater reviewed all of the major earbuds out there, maybe you should ask him).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back